Forum Discussion

JENNIFERPASCHAL
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

Parent Child Relationship Help

Hello -

In one of my apps I have a parent child relationship and I would like a field on the parent level that shows the most recent value in one of the child fields for that record.

As an example:
Parent table - Projects
Child table - Meeting Notes

One of the fields in the child table is "Meeting Outcome" which is a multiple-choice type field. This is the field I would like to show in the Projects table.

Example data:

Projects table:
Record ID Project Name Meeting Outcome
1 Project ABC Approved

Meeting Notes table:
Related Project Meeting Date Meeting Outcome
1 12/10/2022 Additional Info Needed
1 12/11/2022 Meeting Rescheduled
1 12/13/2022 Approved

The last/most up to date value in Meeting Outcome is the value desired in the Projects table so the user can see the outcome of the last meeting.

What is the best method to accomplish this?

------------------------------
Thanks in advance,
Jennifer Paschal

4 Replies

• Can you tell us the definition of most recent?
    Can we be guaranteed that the most recent one has the highest Record ID and that these children are entered in date sequence or do we need to get the meeting with the most recent date. 

It's just a little simpler to grab the one with the highest Record ID.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JENNIFERPASCHAL
      Qrew Trainee
      Yes, that would work with the definition. Is that something I can do with a summary field?

Thanks in advance,
      Jennifer Paschal
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        OK, here we go. One project has many meeting notes. On that relationship do a summary maximum of the Record ID and call it [Record ID of the most recent meeting note].

Look up [Record ID of the most recent meeting note] down to meeting notes.

Make a new Combined Text Summary field of the [Meeting Outcome] subject to the filter that the [Record ID#] = [Record ID of the most recent meeting note]

Then that will appear on the parent record as a textlist format which sort of looks like a bubble.  You probably don't want that format showing on the parent record so make a new formula text field called [Recent Meeting Outcome] with a formula of

ToText([Combined Text Meeting Outcome])

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com