Forum Discussion

eduardovaldes
Qrew Member
10 months ago

pipelin

I want to run a pipeline that does three steps vi api request:

a.Run import opon trigger

b.Search some records and delete them or delete via api a certain search qid.

Need step a to have  finished:

c. Run a different import.

I have a couple of coded solutions that use this kind of approach. I did that via code using javascript "promises" but i want to keep things with native quickbase tools.

I have read some posts but not a definite solution.

Someone suggested to introduce a pause between a and b using clock. That will work in 99% of the cases but i am afraid of those 1%.

Is there a way to read the output of the api request? maybe when you read no error, you continue with next steps.

Thanks on advance

------------------------------
eduardo valdes

3 Replies

• Is there something you found that makes you question the Pipelines solution? Pipelines by their nature operate synchronously (At least in my experience) given that they do interpret the prior step for us in the next as an option.

In your example - you would:

1. Use the Quickbase Channel to do a Request step under the 'Quickbase APIs' - do an API_RunImport for the selected table import
    2. Do a Search Records under 'Records' to target what you want to update/delete or you can do a Remove Records under the bulk records grouping
    3. Run another import

The pause would only be necessary if you had some other process, such as another pipeline or some other automation and you needed time for it to process. So long as this is all occurring in the same pipeline there should be no issue. 

Chayce Duncan
      eduardovaldes
      Qrew Member

Chayce thanks for your reply.

It is working as you say but in a trial mode, (I am learning pipelines).

I am using tables with 50 examples. In operation I will be handling tables with 500 entries or more sometimes.

My doubt came reading the discussion forums, where someone suggested the pause method

Maybe I mis understood.

I understand that one sequential api request only starts after the other request ends, when in the same paipeline (same issue I had with promises and coded page.

I will retire de pauses, thanks a lot.

eduardo valdes
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

Sounds good - in general Imports are extremely efficient / quick to run so there should be no issues as you scale up the operation from 50 to 500. 

Chayce Duncan