Forum Discussion

ChrisNewsome
Qrew Captain
3 years ago

Pipeline conversion from an automation... not sure how to get the same results

OK so we use a lot of automations, as Quick Base is a CRM / ERP for us. So we have automations that fire when certain conditions are met, and now that they are going away, I'm having trouble getting a pipeline to do exactly the same task. Specifically, I can't seem to filter the pipeline down the way I can an automation. is there something I'm missing here? Surely there is a way to filter...

Example: When an opportunity's status is changed to WON, and it also has a $ value in a certain field, and it's territory is X, then perform Z action. I can't seem to get a pipeline to replicate this and I'm not really finding what I need in any of the documentation. Any help out there?

------------------------------
Thanks,
Chris Newsome

2 Replies

• Hi Chris,

One thing I've found helpful if you haven't used it yet is to try the Migration option on an existing Automation. That will convert it into a Pipeline and you can actually go back in and see what the Pipeline version of an Automation looks like as a one to one comparison. Then you can see how the filters are nested and where the options appear. That can be helpful when you are first transitioning to get to see some of your business logic right in Pipelines. 

Typically what you are looking for is in the trigger there is a section to add a query and the fields you are interested in for subsequent steps. For example in the image below you can add in that you care about location name in your subsequent steps and then further down you can Query on that to say you only want location names that start with "Cambridge". It can get more complicated as you add more conditions and select either and or or, but that is how to get started. 

If you are looking for branching out what happens based on these values in your Pipeline that can also be covered by adding conditions, this help doc goes more in depth on how you can instead add logic into a Pipeline to say if certain values then run this action, if not then do another action entirely. 

Evan Martinez
      ChrisNewsome
      Qrew Captain
      Evan, 

Migration didn't recreate any of my filters, which is what caused me to struggle with this. Revisiting it this morning after your post, I figured out that I can't create a query unless I've listed the relevant fields in the "fields for subsequent steps" section first, so that seems to have helped. What I was running into was that section was blank, therefore my query options were extremely limited. Both of the automations I've attempted to auto-migrate failed similarly, so something is not being carried over in the migration process. No worries, if this will work for me I will just re-create them. Thanks for answering.

Thanks,
      Chris Newsome