Forum Discussion

MarielaVasquez
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Pop up

how to create a pop up in quickbase without javascript?

------------------------------
Mariela Vasquez

17 Replies

AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    There are a few options in form rules for displaying a message either when the record is opened, if the user is in a certain role, or based on data from fields in the form. It isn't perfect and JavaScript gives you more options, but it is a native solution. I'm sure you have seen these already though.

Maybe if you described what your intentions are with the popup someone would be able to direct you to a better solution.  You could technically send the user to a code page and have that show your popup or information to the user in another way. Instead of a popup you could have the code page load with your desired information and have the user click okay and then be redirected back to where you want. This might work okay for this purpose or not, it just depends on what you are trying to do.
      MarielaVasquez
      Qrew Member
      what I need the pop-up window to do is that when it takes the user to an external page it appears as a pop-up window not as a tab, where it enters the data that is requested, and when saving it returns to the initial page

Mariela Vasquez
        MichaelTamoush
        Qrew Captain
        I've seen this request numerous times in the community - in fact I had it myself. To my knowledge, there is no way to accomplish this outside of actually coding.

I went to the user voice, and surprisingly did not find many posts about this, however the one I did find about having a pop up window for a new record, was marked Declined. Perhaps not something QB has any intention of taking on natively...

Mike Tamoush
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      Yes. It came on on this past Sunday.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        MichaelTamoush
        Qrew Captain
        Mark do you know the syntax for rich text? I see it says use 'OpenAsPopUP' but does that mean something like 'target=_Openaspopup'?

And any clue if we can control the size of the popup?

Mike Tamoush
  • Hi Mike,
      we have a solution to help control the height and width and will be releasing this soon as its needed for our add-ons.  I created a quick sample using your rich text formula code and incorporated that into our solution and it works fine.  So we can use a formula rich text formula field like in your example or a standard formula url field which is what our add-ons are installed with.

See the quick snipped attached.  This is using your formula rich text code and our solution.
    (click the "view attached" above...the animated gif below doesn't really work well)

Keith

Juiced Technologies
    Juiced Technologies, Inc.
    631-617-5060
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      Justin - Thanks for the explanation! Indeed, replacing your "/ worked for me (as did copying your original formula), so two different syntax that work. Appreciate it.

Keith - that's great! So when you say 'releasing this soon', are you saying you will explain on the community how to adjust the height and width, or is that proprietary?

Mike Tamoush
        JuicedTechnolog
        Qrew Trainee
        this is not proprietary.  We will be sending out an email to all of our clients with instructions on how to modify their formula fields so that they will no longer require javascript.
        We haven't done that yet as we were waiting on the solution that quickbase was releasing this past weekend.  We wanted to see what they were going to have as a solution for popup windows so we could compare that to our solution.

Juiced Technologies
        Juiced Technologies, Inc.
        631-617-5060