Forum Discussion

JaimeFonseca
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Prevent Duplicate Table Records

Hello Colleagues

How can I prevent duplicate records from entering my table?

I don't see how to do it with automation.

------------------------------
Jaime Fonseca

4 Replies

• The low tech solution is to create a formula text field which defines duplication and mark it as being unique in field properties.

for example List ("-", [first name], [last name], totext([phone]))

ie you need to know what defines unique / duplicate

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JaimeFonseca
      Qrew Trainee

Sorry Mark, could you give me a little more guidance on how it would be.

I have a table that has records with the same name and I want to move them to another table without duplicates.

Example:

The idea is to keep them in this other table but only single name records, not duplicate.
      If you can explain me a little more how it would be with formula fields or other technology, I would appreciate it very much.

Jaime Fonseca
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Hi Jamie, depending on how Automated you need this to be you may need some one on one assistance from myself or someone from the Care Team if they have capacity to help you.

You would need to change the Key field of the "Single Name Table" to be the name field.  If this table currently has any relationships where it is the Parent, and you have never changed a Key field before, you may want to copy the app to practice these changes.

Then you would create a formula checkbox field called [Single Namer Exists?] on the single name table with a formula of true.

Then you would make a relationship between the single name table and the details table and let the system create a reference field for you.  Then you were there at that reference field to change it to type to be a formula text field and make it equal to the name on the details table.  

Then you would look up that check box field [Single Namer Exists?] down to the details table.  

Into populate the single name table initially you would make a summary report from the details table where the check box field is not true and then use the more button to copy these records to another table and copy the unique instances of the single name to the single name table.

In order to keep the single name table populated automatically either you subscribe yourself to that subscription report to come daily and manually copy them over once a day or else you can set up an automation to trigger when the single name does not exist and the details table is added or modify. The automation would write the value of the name into the single name table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com