Forum Discussion

JeffMickelsen
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Push Button automated import of all records and fields from a report on a different table

I have an application that includes the two following tables.
  1. Customers - contains all of the data related to the customer and the service we provide for that customer.
  2. Plow Orders - Contains all the date specific details on what we have done for that customer.
These two tables are related, so that all I have to add to the Order Table is the Customer Number, the Driver Number, the date of service and the ProcessedRecord flag which is always set to true to create new orders.

Presently, I pull the Customer Export report from the Customers Table, Save it as a Spreadsheet, and then open the plow orders and import the records from that report.  It is a simple process and is working well, but since I am the only person who is always at as PC, I have to do all of these loads.

I would like to create a Push-Button that will automate the process.  i.e. the manager could push a button on his iPhone and all the orders would be created.  I am not sure what API (or if there is one) to use to proceed with this.  Can anyone help me.

------------------------------
Jeff Mickelsen

4 Replies

• Yes this can be done,
    So is this a daily thing where you run a report with certain filters save as spreadsheet and directly import that into Orders? ie the report is filtered to know Customers have Orders today?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      JeffMickelsen
      Qrew Cadet

Yes it is daily and depending on how hard it is snowing, can be multiple times a day. 

The Customer Export already is filtered to only include those customers who require snow removal today. Right now, it is just run Customer Export report, export the report, and import file in to orders. 

Jeff Mickelsen
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        There are several solutions, but here is a no code solution.

Make a saved table to table import to copy selected record from Customers to Plow Orders.  I suggest boiling your filer in the expert Report down to 1 check box field called [OK to create Plow Order?}.  I have found that complex filters do not always work on saved table to table imports.

Make a new table called Create Plow Orders. It does not need ot have any fields, but for the Home page report show the Date Created and the Record Owner.

Create an Automation to trigger when a record is added to that table.  The action when it fires will be to run the saved table to table import.

Feel free to Post back if you get stuck at any of these steps.

This can also be done with a URL formula button to trigger the import and then land the user on a report of the newly created Plow Orders, but there is a small amount of code to put in a URL formula field,.  Contact me directly if you want to implement that more elegant solution.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        markshnier2@gmail.com