Forum Discussion

MeganHardison
Qrew Member
4 years ago

QB Actions vs. Pipelines vs. Automations

Can someone define the differences between these, Pros/Cons, and when to use which one vs. the other ones. I understand that pipelines connects to other apps, but it can also work with changing things inside QB right? (just looking to change things inside QB when something happens)

QB Actions vs. Pipelines vs. Automations

------------------------------
Megan Hardison

5 Replies

• ACTIONs have limited functionality. They do what they do and there will be no more enhancements.

Automations have more functionality in that they have up to 50 Actions (that is just a coincidence that the steps in an Automation are also called Actions).  I have not seen any enhancements come through in many months or maybe years.

Pipelines are the future where, as you may have noticed, almost every release has enhancements.  They can interface with Quickbase to Quickbase, but also from non Quickbase systems to Quickbase and vice versa.  They are a little more daunting to set up, but generally more powerful than Automations in terms of their ability to have conditional logic, for example and "for each" looping.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MeganHardison
      Qrew Member
      Awesome! Good to know. Thanks for the information.

Do you happen to know if you make a pipeline, and an automation for the same trigger... which one will happen first?

Megan Hardison
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        There is no way to known for sure.  My guess is that the Automation will typically currently run first as they currently seem to initiate faster than Pipelines.  But since all the development seems to be going into Pipelines lately, maybe the Pipelines braintrust at Quickbase is trying to speed them up.  It's hard to know what's happening in the sausage factory other than what we get to hear at EMPOWER or the Release Notes.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • My two cents in addition to everything Mark has already mentioned:

Automations:
    Pros: Much faster than pipelines. Stable, user friendly. Much easier for a table import.
    Huge Pro: Action can be 'if modified OR added'. Pipeline you need to build 2 pipelines.

Cons: Cannot handle complex automations (often times where I would need 2 or 3 automations, Pipelines can do it in one).

Pipelines:
    Pros: Much more flexibility, more capabilities for complex automations. Can connect to external apps. Great potential.
    Cons: Buggy and frustrating. I've had to rebuild a number of pipelines because of bugs. You can't rearrange order of steps properly, it will have weird lagging out problems and not save your work, etc. Also, runs very very slow, as compared to automations.

Mike Tamoush
  • Great question Megan and good discussion! At the high-level, Actions, Automations and Pipelines have a lot of similarities, but they were built in different eras. Actions capability was one of our first entry points into the workflow automation space. While it was powerful and strong innovation at the time, we quickly realized that a new approach is necessary to empower our builders to continue automating their workflows. As a result, we designed and built Quick Base Automations capability, which has a similar tech stack as Actions capability, but is certainly a lot more powerful and has a better UX. As we continued our innovation journey in this space, through your and other customers' feedback we learned Automation is great but it's also limited in terms of scale as well in terms of capabilities around data transformation and integration. As a result, we delivered a completely new Platform - Quickbase Pipelines - for addressing all workflow automation and Integrations requirements you have. The reason I'm sharing this is that it's an important context to have. As you make technology decisions, it's important to know that the future of Quickbase in terms of workflow automation and integration is Pipelines and all our strategic investments are focused on improving the capability and build next-generation no-code workflow automation and integration platform. Hope this context helps!

Gevorg Hovsepyan
    Senior Product Manager
    Quick Base, Inc.
    Cambridge MA