Forum Discussion

DavidMensah
Qrew Member
4 months ago

QUICK BASE APP

Please how can i optimize my Quick base app  performance? What are some of the common mistakes to avoid when i am using quick base?

------------------------------
David Mensah

2 Replies

• A few of my tips (but I am curious to hear from the community):

One of the biggest things are queries. Avoid formula queries in large data sets, and definitely do not put formula queries on table reports, or as filters for reports. Be careful with formula queries in general.

The other thing that comes to mind is general search queries. For example, if you have a search widget on your home page, and it is searching 'every field', and there are 500 fields and 200k records, that will certainly degrade performance. In the field properties, you have the option to not have that field included in a search. Turn that off in all places possible. Utilize reports with minimal fields for queries in large tables.

Utilize relationships as often as makes sense, this is really the power of QB.

If you have many apps, if you are able to keep some separate from others (if you have many divisions in your business, or something that makes sense), do so. This will avoid them sharing resources. This is only applicable for those with large Apps, large companies, and many users. Thus, no cross app relationships, cross app report links, etc. 

Those are my first few, what do others think?

Mike Tamoush

ChayceDuncan
      Qrew Captain

Similar to Mike's comments my general suggestions will include: 

1. Don't use Cross-App relationships or Table To Table imports between Apps.Use Pipelines or Sync Tables
      2. Optimize your main tables to make fields non-reportable and non-searchable to minimize their potential impact.
      3. There is no documented best practice that will always work - but always try and optimize formulas and reports to do the least amount of work. In reports that means ordering your filters to be efficient so that you eliminate the most data with your simplest/initial filters and then get more complex. For formulas, use If statements or other logic and only evaluate/calculate things when you have to. Nest variables where possible so that QB only has to evaluate what it has to
      4. When using Automations like Pipelines, where ever you can always do bulk uploads. Avoid trying to do individual edits/changes unless you have to or the workflow requires it
      5. Don't try and shove everything in one table or app. If you put too much stuff in one application or one table it creates potential for over-taxing that app/table and creates potential conflicts and security issues down the line. Always make everything as simple as possible
      6. For data contained in formulas or lookups that stays static after a period of time, always try and 'freeze it' if possible. So if you have complicated calcs that leverage several tables or summary/lookup data - but it won't change after a project is closed for example - then freeze that value into storage field(s) and instead of doing the calc in your formula just read the storage field. This helps that if you've stored the field and point your formula to it - then QB no longer has to do the work for these records that will never change. 

Chayce Duncan