Forum Discussion

Divya__OSSE-Con
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Quickbase ranking based on field value

I have a project - College application. The students can submit application and specify their choice of college and specify a rank for each choice. 

College - Rank 
     A       -   1
     B       -   2
     C      -   3

How can i prevent the user from specifying the same rank for more than 1 college? I do not want the user to do this- 

College - Rank 
     A       -   1
     B       -   1
     C      -   1

Please suggest.
TIA

------------------------------
Divya (OSSE-Contractor) Pogaku

7 Replies

• np,

Create a field with a descriptive name which will be meaningful to your users such as [You may not choose the same rank more than once].  The reasons for this will become apparent.

Create a formula text field  similar to this one

List"-", ToText([Related Student]), ToText([Related Collage]), ToText([Rank]))

I am assuming here that you have tables of Colleges and a table for Students.

Mark this field as "Unique" in its field properties.  The reason that you cannot use the student name or the college name in this formula is that you will not be able to flag a field as being unique if it involves look up fields.  

Now go ahead ant try to enter a duplicate rank and the reason for the descriptive field name will be apparent. 

The Error message which will come up in red which will block the save is an automated message by Quickbase which we cannot control. However we can control the name of the field which gets embedded in that error message so we use that to help explain to the user what they did wrong.  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      Divya__OSSE-Con
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Mark. That worked like a charm!

Divya__OSSE-Con
      Qrew Member
      Hi Mark, 

When i tried this approach, it worked initially. 
      But not anymore. 
      The reason that i have identified is because -  I have the same table for colleges and students. Colleges are field names with ranks as values, in the student form. So , i cannot use the [Related Student] and [Related College].
      I tried to implement the workaround, with just using the college ranks, the system is throwing an error on saving, only when the combination is repetitive. Not the values. 
      Please suggest. 

TIA.

MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        I am sorry but I am not understanding your tables in their relationships. Can you clarify that?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com