Forum Discussion

NathanielCahill
Qrew Member
3 months ago

Record Picker Sort Order

Hey there, I've got a record picker that will be used almost exclusively in Grid Edit mode. In grid edit mode, how can I sort the values in that record picker on a field of my choosing?

------------------------------
Nathaniel Cahill

4 Replies

• In Grid Edit it will sort by the first value in the dropdown by your standard alpha-numeric sorting. So if you want to control that you need to format the string in a way that they sort the way you want. An example would be if you have like a status of Open, Closed, Not Started, you could do 01-Open, 02-Closed, 03-Not Started. 

Chayce Duncan
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

Another option would be to make a Legacy Type form with the fields on the form corresponding to grid edit columns.  Then in Forms Usage set that form to be used for Grid edit or at least for Grid edit on that report.  Then you can set a repot on that form to be used to drive sort of the drop down.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        NathanielCahill
        Qrew Member

Thanks, Mark! I couldn't get the legacy form bit to work, see my reply to Chayce. I suspect this instance might have been too complex a sort to do via the Forms Usage tool. That said, I can def see myself using your method in the future.  

Nathaniel Cahill
      NathanielCahill
      Qrew Member

Thanks Chayce! I followed your lead on this and souped it up a bit. I totaled the number of times the parent record had been used via a summary field and then assigned a numeric rank to the string of that parent record description field. If the parent record was used >10 times, then give it a "1 Open", 10 times, give it a "2 Open", etc. In this way, I'll have the most used values appear for each user at the top of the drop-down in the child record grid edit. I will need to test this in the wild but I'm pretty sure this will do exactly what I needed. Much appreciated!

Nathaniel Cahill