Forum Discussion

DanialAsghar
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Recurring Automation based on conditional logic

Hello, 

So I have recently discovered Automatons and it definitely solves half of my problem but I cant seem to figure out the rest. 

Scenario:
We have a PO table and a Tasks table. In POs a type of them are recurring with a active/inactive status with specific schedules (monthly, yearly, etc) and a user selector for documents responsibility. 

What I want to do is create some sort of Automation whereby if a PO is recurring, based on the schedule, it will automatically create a task for the user responsible every month (or year, etc) while the recurring status is active. 

My original thoughts were to run an Automation and run a formula at the end but I couldnt find any way of adding in a formula; and cant figure it out using the existing commands. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

3 Replies

• What I did once in that situation was to detect if the Parent had at least two future children tasks. 

I set up a saved table to table import to copy the parent into the child task table and populate the task due date field as the parent would know the frequency of the task and the most future task created so far.

Then I set up an automation to import the parents who did not have at least two next future dated into a child table to create the next Child Tasks for all parents.  I ran the imports twice each day in the same automation.  

So that way each night after midnight, I would know that each parent had at least 2 future tasks.
      DanialAsghar
      Qrew Trainee
      What I was thinking of doing was creating an Automation that ran on a schedule (create one for weekly and one for monthly) and set the actions to create new record in the table with the relevant information in the task. 

My issue with this approach is that I can't set any other IF conditions on the trigger... I want to run this schedule only if the recurring status of the source table is true but cant seem to find anywhere to add more triggers if its time based.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      ... hence the saved table to table copy.  I only copy Parents into the child table to create a future task if the Parent does not have two future children. 

So the Automation will always run, but the saved table to table import may result in no records being created, certain no records being created for most parents, most days. But some parents will run low on future children and hence be valid for the saved table to table copy filter and  "give birth".