Forum Discussion

MichaelEkelmann
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Related Tables Question

I'm building a database of installed equipment for the engineering firm where I work.  I have a master job list that has all the projects, their location, customer, year, etc.  Then I have tables for types of equipment, like boilers, tanks, heat exchangers.  A project will have multiple types of equipment and it may also have instances of the same equipment, but a different size, capacity or material.  I have a job number field in all the tables.  Is there a way to build the relationship where I can link the tables automatically by using the common field, which is the job number?  I thought I had done this before on another app, but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it.

Thanks

Regards,

Mike

This message and any attachments are private or privileged. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named and may be used only for the purpose intended. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please delete it and notify me immediately, and do not copy or send this message to anyone else

2 Replies

• it sounds like you might want to make the Key field of the Projects table be the job number and then all the other tables would be related via that number.  That assumes that you want to manually assign a unique job number to each new job.

Alternatively you may wan to to say run up the Quick Base number wheel to say 10,000 and go the simpler route of having all the projects use the Quick Base Record ID and they will start numbering at 10,000 or some other number which is higher or different looking that your current numbering system uses.

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelEkelmann
      Qrew Member

Mark,

Thanks.  I think changing the key field to job number on the projects table will the ticket. 

Regards,

Mike

This message and any attachments are private or privileged. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named and may be used only for the purpose intended. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please delete it and notify me immediately, and do not copy or send this message to anyone else

------Original Message------

it sounds like you might want to make the Key field of the Projects table be the job number and then all the other tables would be related via that number.  That assumes that you want to manually assign a unique job number to each new job.

Alternatively you may wan to to say run up the Quick Base number wheel to say 10,000 and go the simpler route of having all the projects use the Quick Base Record ID and they will start numbering at 10,000 or some other number which is higher or different looking that your current numbering system uses.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com