Forum Discussion

AndrewLandry
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Relationship fields: Status

I have a project parent table and report child table. In the report table, my team creates monthly reports that include an overall status field. I'd like to be able to display that overall status field in my project record with some logic that says, pull the overall status from the most recently added monthly report record. any ideas?

2 Replies

• Here's a trick I've used many times.  First, in the existing Project(parent)-to-Report(child) relationship, create a summary field [Record ID# of latest Report] that finds the max Record ID#.  Then create a new "reverse" relationship with Report as parent and Project as child, and use [Record ID# of latest Report] as the reference field.  In the reverse relationship, add a lookup field for the Report [Overall Status].
  • The other solution now that we have combined text summary fields is to do a summary of the Maximum Record ID# of the child records and look that up down to the children.

Then do a Combined Text summary of the Status where the Record ID# = [Max Record ID#]

The result will be the "pill" appearance  for the current status, but you can then make a formula field 

ToText([my combined text summary status field]) to make it look nicer.