Forum Discussion

AustinHayes
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

Rich Text Custom Dropdown Menu

I am attempting to drive a custom drop down via a rich text field. I am seeking more dynamic functionality than what is offered by native quick base drop downs. Is this even plausible with a formula rich text field? I'm set to begin down the path of something like this:

var number Link = [Number1];

"<div class='dropdown'>" &
  "<button onclick='myFunction()' class='dropbtn>Dropdown'</button>" &
  "<div id='myDropdown' class='dropdown-content'>" &
    "<a href='#>" & $Link & "'</a>" &
  "</div>" &
"</div>"

7 Replies

• Have you had any luck attempting this? There are certain tags the Quick Base will reject in its HTML enabled form and field elements - so if you've already tried you may already have your answer. 

What in particular are you trying to do that the current dropdown can't do?

Chayce Duncan | Technical Lead
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base
      AustinHayes
      Qrew Cadet
      The conditional dropdown functionality is what I'm after. Issue is when I use it natively it breaks the copy master detail function I have in place via a looping relationship.
  • I have not looked into it further yet. One basic thought is to drive dropdown selection based on parent values. I know quick base offers a native feature similar to that for dropdowns but that will break any copy master detail functionality involving the parent and children.
  • As for your issue, I did start to answer it, but never completed an answer.  I cannot help you with a javascript approach, but I certainly have felt your pain with needing to protect the super valuable Copy Master Detail  and avoiding the dreaded  red "looping relationship error".

My solution in other apps was to implement what I can my quick select method.  I make a formula URL button which launches off the record and records the [Record ID#] in a User Focus table where the Key field is the user.  Then the user lands on a report to select which choice they want.  The report can be anything we like, so it can be filtered like the CDD would have been filtered.  The user clicks the choice  and is landed back on the record.  We do have to ensure that the record we are creating has been saved so that the User Focus record knows when record to edit.

Let me know if you feel that approach can work for you and we can get on a GTM call and work though this.  
      AustinHayes
      Qrew Cadet

I actually already utilize that exact method for another function. My desire for JS here is the nature of the desired streamlining. They will be editing potentially dozens of records at a time, the quick select method would prove too cumbersome bouncing to a quick select report, selecting the record, saving every time. I�d much prefer a sort of custom html button that presents options in a dropdown on hover then writes the selected option to the record via js on click. You could even avoid reloading the page to allow the user to select an option for many records before reloading the page to see the results.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      My method does not require saving. Just click click click to make the selections which adds the required record on each click. Then another click to return to the Parent Record.
      AustinHayes
      Qrew Cadet
      Good to know, I'd still prefer just the click, click all while on the parent record if possible and will research that method first. Thanks for the input.