Forum Discussion

MikeMcCartney
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Running Totals

I have a child table with data in different years. I have a field called Total Dollars that totals the cash by year. I'd like to have a Running total of the cash each year.  How do I do that?

------------------------------
Mike McCartney

9 Replies

• I suggest trying a Summary Report Type, 
    Summarize Total Dollars (normal)
    Summarize Total Dollars (running totals)

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MikeMcCartney
      Qrew Member
      I have the first one Summarize Total Dollars (normal) but don't know how to do the second one Summarize Total Dollars (running totals)

Mike McCartney
        MikeMcCartney
        Qrew Member
        I might not have asked the question right. I have a field called Total Dollars by Year (Formula Numeric) which calculates all the data in each season.  Can I create another Formula Numeric field that serves as a running total by Adding the previous year to all the data in that season?  This way, in my grid on the Parent Table, I can show Total Dollars by Year and Total Dollars earned through life of contract to that point.

For example:
        Year   Total Dollars  Total Dollars Earned
        1           $100                  $100
        2           $150                  $250
        3           $125                  $375

Mike McCartney
      MikeMcCartney
      Qrew Member
      Got it - thanks.  I really appreciate you Mark.  Feels like I'm asking basic questions so thanks for your patience. 2 more questions. 
      1) Besides the grid, can I use the data in fields?  In other words, All Cash Earned thru 2 Years, All Cash Earned thru 3 years, etc.?  I want to run further reports with that data.
      2) How do I get rid of the 2 Totals table?  It's redundant in the grid.

Mike McCartney
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        np,
        On a summary report, you can suppress the totals at the bottom as there is a checkbox setting for that on the report for that.

Ah but now you have Part B to the question that you want to use the running totals in report or in other formulas, that is a more difficult question.

The only way to do that really would be to Create a relationship between the Child table YEAR records and themselves.  Quick Base allows that.  The main thing to worry about there is the proper naming of he fields so you don't get your self confused.

The issue will be how to connect the records so each child know which other record was its parent previous year.  ie how to make the daisy chain without breaking the connections.

That can be done manually as you add a new child YEAR record, or it may be possible to create a Key field which is a concatenation of the [Related Parent] and the YEAR  and have them link up automatically. 

To do that you would need to make a formula field to calculate that, then populate that into a data entry type "scalar" field and then change the Key field of the Child record from [Record ID#] to this new field.  Then going forward you would have a form rule populate the scalar Key field with the value on the Key field formula field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com