Forum Discussion

GeneStrelkov
Qrew Cadet
9 months ago

Search different string from multiple records

I will be attempting to build an additional table in our account, that will have a list of all assets that we have by serial number. Our company supplies GPS trackers to different clients.

What I'm trying to do, is let's say we have several thousand records, each one identifying asset model and it's serial number.

If we have a client that needs a hundred of those trackers, how would I search 100 of those serial numbers (out of thousands of devices), so it displays 100 records for me, so I could go ahead and change the assigned company to that specific client for just those 100 devices.

I don't want to edit 100 different records one at a time.

------------------------------
Gene Strelkov

4 Replies

• Are you saying that you have a list of 100 serials in say Excel and you want to do a mass search?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      GeneStrelkov
      Qrew Cadet

We have thousands, so I will be importing those records from Excel.

For example. I have this sample app. I'm trying to assign 2 assets to clients, one is SN: 267-01, and other is SN: 2664-05

If I try to search one SN at a time, I do get results that match that string. But If I try to search 2 SN's at the same time, I get no results.

So this is my question, how can I search for different SN's, to get results?

Gene Strelkov
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

I suggest making a table to import the full excel sheet into. Import the sheet to create the columns so that way they will match up perfectly for future imports.

Set the key field to be the serial number 

Then make a relationship where Excel import entry has many GPS tracker. Let it create a field for Related Excel Import, but then change that field to be a formula equal to the serial.  Make a formula checkbox field with a value of true called [Excel import exists?]

Lookup [Excel import exists?] down to GPS tracker and use that as a Dynamic fFlter to filter the GPS Trackers with serial in that table.

When you get a new serial number list, just delete out all the records in that excel table and import them again. If you want to make it more convenient for your users, there are ways to have an admin type record where you could make a button to purge the table and you could make another button to land the user on that import window just sort of dumb things down if you have the luxury of an admin person being able to do this on your behalf.  Or maybe you are your own admin person and you just want to dumb it  down for yourself. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com