Forum Discussion

AndrewFry
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago

Setting up Notes

I previously set up a group of related Notes tables, and it seemed to work fine, but there were a few nuances that I didn't particularly like. So I am rebuilding it from the ground up and had a few questions.

FYI: Long read ahead.

The way I previously set it up is the following:
  • 3 Tables:
    • Notes
    • Note Types
    • Note Subjects
  • Relationships:
    • Note Types < Note Subjects
    • Note Types < Notes
    • Note Subjects < Notes
  •  Note Types table - field:
    • Type
      • Text - Multiple Choice
  • Note Subjects table - field:
    •  Subject
      • Text - Multiple Choice
In the Note Type form, I can select a single type from the dropdown, then in the embedded grid I can select a subject from the dropdown for each grid row. Having a dropdown in the embedded form allowed me to relate multiple subjects to a single Type without having to manually type them in for every line. Hence the use of the Text-Multiple Choice for the Subject.

In the Note Subject form, I can select one Note Type from the dropdown and one Note Subject from the dropdown.

A single Note Type can have multiple Subjects related to it, eg:
  • Job (Type)
    • General
    • Left Message
    • Paint Sample
    • Parts
    • Pictures
    • Quality Control
    • etc
    • etc

However, a single Note Subject can be used in many different Note Types, eg:
  • General (Subject)
    • Assignment
    • Client
    • Contact
    • General
    • Job
    • etc
Also, in the Notes table, the Subject field is conditional on the Type field, such that when I select a Type, it only allows me to pick from the related subjects for that type.

I have thought about a number of different ways to accomplish the desired outcome, being that I have a Note Type and Note Subject in the Notes form with the subject being conditional of the type, but to do it in a cleaner manner (aka Best Practice). I have been kind of focused on Best Practice as of late and would like to ensure I am following it, not only for user experience, but for future development purposes. Just because something works now, doesn't mean it will be simple to follow in the future if this is ever handed off to someone else. I want to avoid that and ensure it is simple to follow so that development can continue if needed.

I believe best practice would be the following, but not really sure:
My first thought is to have the Type in the Note Types table be a Text field and input all the different types. I would also have the Subject in the Note Subject be a Text field. However, if I understand things correctly, by doing that and because a Type can have multiple Subjects, and a Subject can be used by multiple Types, I would need to establish a Many-to-Many table for the Note Types and Note Subjects. I would then need to relate that M:M table to the Notes table and set the conditional parameters ..... 

Any thoughts/ideas on the above, would it work, is there a better way to go about doing this? Is the way I originally set it up perfectly acceptable (I guess that might be subjective)? Suggestions? Recommendations?

------------------------------
Andrew
andrew.fry25@gmail.com

8 Replies

• Andrew -

You're correct in thinking to make the Type and Subject fields Text. Since these are their own tables, the use of a Text-Multiple Choice is redundant and will only cause more issues later. The structure of this setup doesn't need to be super complex, but you are right in thinking you will need a Many to Many table for the Types/Subjects. I would suggest a structure like this:

The arrows in the diagram represent the direction in which you will need to setup the Parent/Child structure, with the points indicating the Child table. For this to work well, you will want to setup the reference field for the Type Subjects table to be conditional on the reference field for the Types table. You can do this using the Conditional Values section in the field properties here:

Once you have the structure updated and the values set in the various tables, you should be good to go!

Blake Harrison - DataBlender.io
    Quick Base Solution Provider
      AndrewFry
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Blake,

I really appreciate the simpleness with which you described everything and the images you shared for clarification. Thank you!
      I believe I have my table relationships set up correctly, but just want to be sure.

Here is what I have for my Note Type Subjects (NTS):
      Here is what I have for my notes table:

I already had all my Note Types and Note Subjects input into their corresponding tables, as text, before creating the M:M NTS table.
      Would I be correct in understanding that I need to edit each Note Type to associate it with the various Note Subjects, to have the Note Type to Subject relation appear in the NTS table, and then in the Notes form drop downs?

Still working on getting the correct field adjusted for the conditional options.

Thanks for your insight!

Andrew
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        Andrew -

The relationships look right for your NTS table, but the Notes table should have 2 relationships - one to NTS and one to Note Types. It looks like that exists on the NTS list of relationships, so I'm hoping the image just cut off the NTS<Notes relationship.

Anyhow, as far as data goes, you'll have your Types and Subjects in separate tables (which it sounds like you've already got). In the NTS table, you will need to create records for each combination of Type & Subject that is appropriate. This table should probably only have the reference fields and maybe a Notes field for identifying anything special a user may need to know about selecting that record. When I do something like this, I often put in something like a Use Case so the user can better understand when to select a particular record.

The Notes table will then have 2 drop-downs. One for the Note Type and then a 2nd for the NTS. The relationship with the NTS table is where you'll set up your conditional so that only the NTS records associated with the same Note Type are shown in the drop-down when a user is creating a Note record.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Blake Harrison - DataBlender.io
        Quick Base Solution Provider