Forum Discussion

BrittanyBrittan
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Show Field from Separate Table based on Corresponding Field

I have seen a few conversations about this, but am having a hard time relating the information back to my own app.

I am looking for a way to pull a specific text field from a different table, based on corresponding text fields.

We use these apps in a production environment and have separate tables for each stage of the process. I want the current process table to show whether the job was indicated as completed at the previous process table.

Simply - I have 2 tables: Process 1 and Process 2. Both have a Job # field. Both have a Job Completed text field (Yes or No). If the Job # matches, Process 2 should automatically show a "Process 1 Job Completed" field.

Also - all data in both process tables is inputted by imports, so users are not manually typing in the Job # field for a lookup.

7 Replies

• Is the Job# field unique in Table 1  ie can there be multiple table 1 records for a single job?
      BrittanyBrittan
      Qrew Trainee
      Yes, the Job# is unique. Only 1 entry per Job # in a table, but the same Job # appears once in each table.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      So a suggestion is to change the key field of table 1 to be the Job#.  Then make a relationship where 1 Table 1 has many Table 2 (even if there will only ever be 1 child).

Then you can look up any information from Table 1 down to Table 2, including its completion status. 
      BrittanyBrittan
      Qrew Trainee
      Is there a formula I could use or a way for Quickbase to recognize automatically a Job# match?
      I created the relationship, but I want to avoid a user-look up to pull in the Table #1 information. The Job# in Table 2 will be imported.