Forum Discussion

IvanWeiss
Qrew Captain
3 years ago

Table across multiple apps strategy

Hi everyone,

I have an app called Team Elite which is our central hub for our company.  It is essentially an ERP system that does everything from task management to project management, invoicing, purchasing, etc.

We have come up with the need to add a HR app into our portfolio....  I want to create the HR "module" as a separate app (I believe) for security reasons.  There is information that will be highly confidential and although we can control access in Team Elite I think it would be beneficial to have the safety so there is no oops of being a separate app.

We have a table in our Team Elite app called "Team Members."  This table has all of our employee in it, their address, phone number, etc.  So things you would typically see in a HR app.  I went and made a sync table so that this table would appear in my HR app, works great.

However, there is one issue I am running across now and I am looking for advice on how to strategically best do this....  The team members app has a "user field" which is the key field.  So this way the key field is the user/email address.  Our IT company takes a few days to setup email addresses for new employees.

I am trying to create a template set of tasks so that when we add a new employee these tasks will be assigned in Team Elite to various members that need to plan the onboarding.  In the same app they use all the time.  However, I cannot add the team member until we have an email address.  Sometimes that takes 2-3 days for our IT company.  So I cannot enter the new employee until we have that and thus the onboarding process cannot begin.

What is the best strategy here to resolve this?  Do I need to create a separate table just for onboarding employees and basically that is a trigger point to run the pipeline to assign out the new employees?  I need a place to capture their start date, name, etc. and Team Members makes perfect sense except I cannot add them until that email address is created.

Looking for ideas on how others are managing this process?  Without an organized list of tasks our onboarding sometimes gets a bit chaotic as if someone loses sight of something we run close to the employee's start date.  I dont want to maintain two sets of independent team members tables.  That seems ridiculous.

Thanks!

------------------------------
Ivan Weiss

3 Replies

• I have this in place for a client and we use a separate app for New Hire and Termination Requests.  There are  standard tasks which are auto created for all new hires where the list of tasks changes according to the type of employee being hired. 

We also use it for Terminations similarly, a Termination request is entered and the various departments are notified of the termination activities.

So we decided to use a separate app with [Record ID#] as the Key field of the Requests.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      IvanWeiss
      Qrew Captain
      So you maintain this entirely in a separate app even the tasks?  My concern is getting the team to routinely check this other app....  Not sure they will....  I was hoping to use it more of a backend and keep the information centralized in our primary app.

Ivan Weiss
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Yes,  separate app with Subscription emails for open tasks  "My Open Tasks" and All Open Tasks.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com