Forum Discussion

CeciliaMullan
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Table Reports

It seems like any user can change the reporting parameters of a Table Home Page if I don't click on "Hide UI for creating and customizing reports." Is that true? I don't want people touching the Home Page reporting parameters but I want them to be able to create their OWN additional reports if they wish. How can I prohibit them from accessing the reporting parameters of a Home Page report like you can with other reports? Thanks! 

------------------------------
Cecilia Mullan

1 Reply

• So there is a different setting as to if they can save "Common Reports".  You can let Roles create reports (ie not be so draconian to block them from any minor change to a report by the Hide UI setting)  but they will only be able to save then as "Personal Reports" and not be able to create or change Common Reports..  OK, so problem solved?  ---- not.

The issue is that smart users will then make a whole set of Personal reports critical to doing their job. Smart users will figure out better than the Admin what they need  Then they leave the company or move to another position in the company and no one can figure how how the heck they did their job because Personal Reports are personal to that user only.   

So one solution is to encourage that experimentation,  but then drum it into their heads that they should send the Admin the link to any useful Personal reports and then you just do a "Save As" and voila, you have a common report for everyone to use.

There are some folks who have the discipline to organize reports in those "groups".  I never do that for what it's worth.  I feel that the only reports that you can trust are those links on a dashboard.  Those are supposed to be all useful and vetted by the key users of the app and you tell then they own that dashboard in terms of what should be there.  If they want changes to the Dashboard or a report promoted to be "Dashboard-Worthy", then they ask the admin to do that.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com