Forum Discussion

ChechoNajera
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Tecnnical Support re Conditional Dropdowns (or another way to solve this).

Hey guys, it's my first posting my own discussion. I've used the community plenty of times to read up and solve problems on my end, so THANK YOU for being such a great community. 

So, pretty much what I want to do is filter the options I get on a proxy field based on a lookup field that comes from a priorly selected field. 

This is for an Inventory MGMT app. Let me explain each of the tables that will come into play here: 

1. My first table is called Requests, where people send in their requests to our Warehouse where they input certain info like their names and once they select their names, based on a lookup field, we get what area they work in. 
2. The other table I got is called Materials, this is a list of all of the materials we track in our warehouse. This list is at about 350 materials (but not every area uses all of them). 
3. And then my last table is a Many to Many relationship table that brings both of those together. When filling up a Request, the user gets an editable report where they select a Material and then input how much quantity they need. 

What I want to do is that, based on the Area of work of each specific name, they only get a list of Materials specific to that Area. 

Any idea on how to go about this? 

PS> I wanted to upload a video but wasn't able to, please send me an email so I can send it as attachment. There's also a link in case it works: ClickUp
Clickup remove preview
ClickUp
View this on Clickup >
https://share.clickup.com/clip/p/t1251230/b34fa86e-e7b7-498e-b0c8-8a3265fe53b6/screen-recording-2021-02-15-14%3A25.webm 

------------------------------
Checho Najera

1 Reply

• OK,  here we go

First let's draw the relationships.  I keep is simple with words to draw.

Area < Employees <Requests < Request Line Items > Materials
    Area < Materials

So that says that one area has many employees and each employee is able to make many requests and each request has many Request line items on it.  The Request line Items is the join table between requests and materials.  

The next line says that One Area has Many Materials.

I think that this is easy.  Just lookup the Area down from Area to Employees, to Requests to Request Line items and include that Area field onto the Request Line Items form for the form sees it.

The you will have a field for [Related Material] on the Request Line items form.  Set that field to be a Conditional Drop Down "CDD" (slang) by checking the box that says that the selection choices are conditional where the [Area lookup from Employee] is equal the the [Area] of the Material. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com