Forum Discussion

DougHines
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Thinning the Multi-Select Text choice pool

I've seen similar posts on the boards, but not one worded quite like this... :

Is it possible to utilize several MST fields to thin out an available options in a "master" formula-MST?

Imagine the following scenario...

A small "New Hire" app is requested by HR to easily initiate a mountain-sized pile of  tasks to be done by filling out a few fields in a form and pressing save, but can't be bothered to keep a list of active company extensions anywhere. The app is to be fed a list of  company contacts from another table.  The HR rep wants to only be able to select available available internal company extensions to avoid having to reprint Business Cards.  

Master MST pool : {401-449}
Department Summary Pools: 
Billing: {410-429}
Sales: {401-409}
Repair: {430-439}

Already-assigned Extensions include : 409, 412, 431, 433, 402, 413, 417, 404, 401

Our derived summary Pools then look like this:
sales_pool   :  401,404,402,409
billing_pool : 412,413,417
repair_pool : 431, 433

Is there a native method to remove the items in the summary pools from the master MST?  I already plan to break up the comparison based on their departments (for less computing).  What can I do natively to accomplish a list of selectable,  extensions  still available in the repair pool?

------------------------------
Doug Hines | dhines@tritonnet.com
Learning it As I Go | Tier II Support | Systems

3 Replies

• Is there any particular reason you're wanting to use Multi-Select Text fields instead of having these Extensions on their own table and using a relationship to connect them to a Contact record?

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      DougHines
      Qrew Trainee
      Well, in a sense the assigned extensions are already connected.

They are setup as part of unique numbers on a phone number table.  The phone numbers connect, via summaries, passed up through related tables.  From the phone number table to a Service Detail table, and finally to the support case table  and to the form the HR contact is using to put in the new hire request.

Ultimately I would have preferred a drop-down select method, but in the past I have not had much success in trying to do similar filtering operations

(The service detail table is what ties together the Phone Numbers, the support case, and the Extension pools)

Douglas | dhines@tritonnet.com
      |
      Service Delivery Coordinator | Tier II Support | Systems
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        So, to be clear, there is a table of Phone Numbers, but these are not currently connected in a 1-1 manner to an Employee, but instead through a series of Summary/Lookup fields? A couple of questions:
        1. Are these phone numbers group numbers or are they direct numbers to a single extension?
        2. Is there a separate table that holds the Extensions?
        3. Is there a separate table for Departments?
        4. The "New Hire Request" sounds like it's a type of Support Case, is that correct? I'm assuming this request would be to request their IT services to be initiated - including assignment of their extension?

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/