Forum Discussion

JenHamilton_Tye
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

URL link to view a specific form, but the form changes when the edit button is clicked

I have a table with two forms. "Course form" (ID#10, default) and "Offering form" (ID#2).

I have a Formula - Url field to link users to the correct form from other tables and in reports:
If(Contains([Request type], "Offering"),URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() &"?a=dr&rid=" & ToText([Record ID#]) & "&dfid=2"& "&z=" & Rurl(), 
URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() &"?a=dr&rid=" & ToText([Record ID#]) & "&dfid=10"& "&z=" & Rurl())
It works, until they click the "edit" button at the top right of the record. In edit mode it will ALWAYS show the "Course form" - the default form.

I can replace a=dr with a=er, but I don't always want to always send them to "edit" the form.

This is also a problem when I send them to create a new record on a certain form - when they save the record it always shows the default form.

How can I fix this?

6 Replies

• That is why I strongly resist having multiple forms.when they need to be used by the same users. The system does not know which form to use.

How much work would be involved in having just one form, and then using form rules to show and hide sections.
      JenHamilton_Tye
      Qrew Trainee
      Each form has 100-200 fields and almost 100 dynamic rules. Combining them would be significant work and require redoing testing/debugging. :(
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Jen, have you maximized you use of the Forms settings to associate firm with reports. Can you get a workflow going for your users which has then use a report to specify their form? Ie if they start with a certainteport, then the native edit button will follow that setting of which form to use.
  • Otherwise the solution is to use something in the IOL toolkit to hide the existing save/edit buttons, substituting their own, with the right urls in them, onto the custom forms?
      AlexCertificati
      Qrew Cadet
      'IOL' is Image On Load, a technique developed by Dan Diebolt of Haversine Consulting to enhance the UI capabilities beyond what is offered by native Quick Base. He's on these forums a ton. Let me see if I can get you started...

This looks like a very relevant use case with some example code, but not much explanation about IOL implementation.

Here's an IOL primer.

Here's what Dan calls his simplest example.

This thread may be more useful than that, as it includes quite a bit of practical advice.

Not to speak for him but as you can see he's generally willing to answer questions posed directly.

Once you've mastered that, search these forums for '3Q&S' and expand your universe even further.