Forum Discussion

DavidPontier1
Qrew Cadet
2 years ago

Using User Fields in Connected tables

We have many apps that use employee tables, and every time we have a new hire or someone changes departments, we need to update all of these tables.  So we created a master table and connected it to all the other apps.  However, when I bring in the user email field, it comes in as a text field instead of a user field.  When I try to change it to a user field, it gives me an error.  I want to make this the Key field in the employee table, but I can't figure out how to make it let me.

I have used User fields as Key fields in other non-connected tables, and it is excellent for employee-to-employee relationships, so I know it is possible, but I can't make it work in a connected table.

Any advice?

Thanks,

David

------------------------------
David Pontier

3 Replies

• I suggest that you just use that text field as the key field. You can calculate that value from a any user field or the Current User

User()

from any other table

ToText(UserToEmail([My user field])))

and make your relationship and look up any Fields you need from your user table

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DavidPontier1
      Qrew Cadet

Thanks.

If the Related fields in the child tables are user fields, will they recognize each other?

David Pontier
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

No, they will not. That's why you need to make a Formula field on the child table to convert the user field into a plain text field.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com