Forum Discussion

IvanWeiss
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

Versioning Rich Text Field

Is there a way to enable version history on a rich text field?  I have a company policies and procedures table, I do not want to lock it down as i want people to be able to contribute to this.  However, if someone makes a change that contradicts or is an issue with what the original poster typed I want them to be able to return to the prior version.  I want it to work kind of like file attachments.

------------------------------
Ivan Weiss

6 Replies

• You could use a parent child relationship where the Parent is simply the Procedure Title with all the actual content in child records. 

You would then float ip the most recent entry to the Parent using either a reverse relationship I'd using a combines Summry text field converted back to test where it is filtered on only rolling up the child with the Max Record ID.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Not sure if this will work for you but one trick I do is create a new log edits text field (e.g. Description History) and add a rule to copy "Description" to "Description History" every time the record is saved.  I make Description History non-edit.  This provided you a log of what was in Description every time the record was saved.

Ed A Mathias
    VP of OPS
    Athena Technology Solutions
    Fremont CA
      IvanWeiss
      Qrew Captain
      Love how simple this idea is.  Here is my question though....  Do I make it set on save or open?  If I set it on save wouldnt it mirror what is in the field after editing?  If I set it on open it would mirror when someone opened for editing right?

or do you set it on save and make it a loggable field so we have a complete history?

Ivan Weiss
        Ed_AMathias
        Qrew Member
        I did not think about doing it on open.  I should try that.

Ed A Mathias
        VP of OPS
        Athena Technology Solutions
        Fremont CA
  • What would i do if i had such a table and a rich text field?
    1 - Have a process/procedure owner field. You could use the record owner but I lean more toward a user field that users could update so i don't have to do that.
    2 - Create an approval process where if certain field are changed the owner must approve - the rich text and owner fields. Trigger a notification to a report to show the previous entry and the new change with 2 buttons, approve and disapprove. 
    3 - create another  table for the history of the fields
    4 - setup a relationship between the 2 tables
    5 - create an automation to populate the history table triggered by specific changes
    6 - approve makes no changes and disapprove kicks off an automation to return the values

I'd probably for fun go so far as to create approval kanban reports inside the form and send the approver to the record to appear when approval is required. Slide the card and close the record, no buttons needed.

Jason Johnson