Forum Discussion

IvanWeiss
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

View Tasks for a Managers Team

I created a Tasks table initially in my app assigning tasks to a Assigned To field that was a List User Type (as there are occassions where I can have more than one assignee on a task).

That worked great until one of my directors asked if they can get a report showing all of the tasks assigned out to their team for workload planning.  The request makes perfect sense except my current workflow has no way of doing it (oops).

Good news is this is test data while we are building this app so what I am learning is my methodology is not sound.

Quickbase support recommended creating a departments table with a list of my departments.  Each team member can be a member of a department.  Put a checkbox on the Team Member if they are a department head (so it knows if they are a supervisor basically).  They also recommended a join table between department and Team Member for the data flow (but this does not entirely make sense to me as an employee can only be part of one department.

So now I am stuck on how I can generate a report showing all tasks assigned to someone's team.  I am coming here because I am not 100% sure the support sent me in the wrong direction and actually made this way more complicated than it needs to be.  I would have to imagine a zillion people have done this before me lol

Is this the correct way to represent this data?  I would like creating a department multi select text field on the team member table would be simpler.  In lieu of the join and departments table.  But even if I do that, where do I go from there?

Thanks for the help!

12 Replies

• This part does not make sense to me.

They also recommended a join table between department and Team Member for the data flow (but this does not entirely make sense to me as an employee can only be part of one department.

But it does make sense to have a join table called Resource Assignments between Tasks and  Resources to be able to assign multiple staff to a Task.  Then the Resource Assignment Join table will know the Department via a lookup from the Team member table.

IvanWeiss
      Qrew Captain
      Agreed and I am going in that route.  So now the question is how do I filter based on the current users department.

So for example Marcy is our Director of Marketing.  She is logged in.  When she views the report My Team's Tasks she wants to see a list of tasks for her team (Marketing department) sorted and grouped by user (or Employee)

Its that filtering part I am struggling with.  Right now I can sort and group by department and use that as a dynamic filter.  But I want it to know based on log on
      DebbieSmith1
      Qrew Cadet
      If you use create the department manger as a user field, you can use that field for an initial filter. The initial  filters would be:  Department manager  is the current user
      IvanWeiss
      Qrew Captain
      So I dont have that.  I have Team Members (and the key is a user field on that table) and I have departments as a multi select text as well as a checkbox to indicate if they are a department head.

In English I need the filter to be.

Show record when department = current user - department

Just dont know how to get there