Forum Discussion

gwmcmanusgwmcma
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Want a link / button to download a file after creating log using API_AddRecord

I am struggling with the code to create a link that allows a user to download a file attachment, but at the same time creates a log to identify the user and the time of download.

The code I have is below and it successfully creates the log record, but does not download the file.

If ([Original File]>"", "<a href=\"" &URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ACCESS_LOGS] & "?act=API_AddRecord" & "&_fid_6=" & ToText([Record ID#]) & "&ticket=auth_ticket" & "apptoken=app_token" & "up/" & "db/" & Dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#]& "/e7/v0\"target=_blank\">" & [Original File]& "</a>" ,"")

Any help in identifying where I am going wrong would be appreciated.

5 Replies

• Let�s start simple.

Try making formula URL field, not a formula Rich Text field

var text URLONE = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ACCESS_LOGS] & "?act=API_AddRecord" & "&_fid_6=" & ToText([Record ID#]));

var text URLTWO = URLRoot() & "up/" & Dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#]& "/e7/v0\";

// be sure to set the 7 in e7 above to be the field Id Number if the field that is the file attachment

$URLONE
    & "&rdr=" & UREncode ($URLTWO)

I put an app in the Exchange that explains this syntax. It is called URL formulas for Dummies. Search on Dummies and you should get a hit.

If you get this working and want to be able to control the appearance if the button and have it be a link with the file name, let's tackle that one after the easier version is working.
    Let me know how it goes and if you get any syntax errors please post you formula and the error.
  • Thanks very much for this but I am still having problems 

Problem 1
    When I put you code into the field I get a Formula syntax error

The argument list of the function rdr must begin with a left parenthesis.

var text URLONE = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ACCESS_LOGS] & "?act=API_AddRecord" & "&_fid_6=" & ToText([Record ID#]);

var text URLTWO = URLRoot() & "up/" & Dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#]& "/e7/v0\"; 

$URLONE 
    & "&rdr  =" & URLEncode($URLTWO) 

Problem 2
    When I deconstruct your code and put it into a URL I still get delivered the xml response and it does not go on to download the actual file.

This is the key thing I am trying to achieve i.e. first create the log (which the first URL does successfully) and THEN download the file.
  • Can you change this part of the code to this? Get rid of that backslash

& "/e7/v0";