Forum Discussion

KaitlynStanley
Qrew Trainee
4 months ago

When Field Value has been changed Make another field Required?

First I would like to note we're using new forms in case that affects any functionality.

My question is we have a call center ticket table with a user list field called 'Assigned To'. Then we have a 'Reassignment Comments' field. When 'Assigned To' is changed the user is supposed to fill out the 'Reassignment Comments' field and list the reason why they're reassigning the ticket. However, user's always forget to fill it out. Is there a way to make 'Reassignment Comments' required, if 'Assigned To' has been changed?

------------------------------
Kaitlyn Stanley

2 Replies

• I don't claim to be any kind of expert in new forms but assuming that there is not that native functionality in new forms then what you can do is have a rule that says when the record is saved change the value of a a new field called [Old Assigned to] to the value of Assigned to.

Then when the form is opened you will know the previous value.  Then  you can have a form rule to say that when the [Assigned to] is not equal to the [Old Assigned to] , then require reason for change.  I think that you will need to make the reason for change field be one that logs changes, or else once the field change reason has been entered the first time it will not know to make them update the reason again for the next time it changes 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ChayceDuncan
      Qrew Captain

Mark is correct - the new forms don't have a change tracking function, you'll need as Mark suggested to store the value each time the record is changed through either a form rule or automation or some sort and compare as he's suggested. 

Chayce Duncan