Forum Discussion

JimHarrison
Qrew Champion
7 years ago

Pinned Conversations - hide or move?

For a couple weeks the Pinned Conversations have taken up the entire front of this Community home page. While I appreciate being kept informed the information is stale (to me, possibly others). Would someone over there in QB Central spend a few hours to add the ability to collapse that Section. Alternatively it would also fit nicely as a side bar. Please and thank you. 

7 Replies

• Well it turns out the same rad techniques that are used to mod QuickBase can be used to mod other web pages including the forum pages:

BEGONE PINNED CONVERSATIONS: 

$("#sticky-topic-list").remove();
  • Dan, I plan to take 6 months off in the summer.  Can you pin me to the top of the Leaderboard so I can take a break.  That would be a lot easier than having to answer all those question to stay on top.

$("#sticky-mark-on-top").add();

Thx
    Mark
  • How will you manage to squeeze 6 months into a four month season?

If you use TamperMonkey you could just keep jacking up the numbers on your version of the page while you were on vacation and you wouldn't have to answer any questions.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en

TamperMonkey has the imprimatur of QuickBase because I saw one of the employees list it on an Empower slide during his presentation using the official master presentation. I down with that endorsement.
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback as we are testing out the option of using Pinned Conversations on the Get Satisfaction platform that provides our forums. Right now we have several product relevant updates that we want to make very visible after the concerns expressed about communication over our recent releases and UI changes to make sure our active users are aware of upcoming changes. We will be looking to adjust it over time depending on their impact. 
  • This is the feedback you need to take to your product managers and marketing people:Long Tail

I think QuickBase does a pretty good job of selecting defaults and prioritizing features. But too many decisions and product affordances are being hard-coded into the product based on some type of 80/20 Pareto Principle analysis. Users want greater ability to customize the product for reasons that may never be apparent to you or for no reason at all. 

The theory of the Long Tail is that our culture and economy is increasingly shifting away from a focus on a relatively small number of "hits" (mainstream products and markets) at the head of the demand curve and toward a huge number of niches in the tail.
      JimHarrison
      Qrew Champion
      Today I learned about the Pareto_principle 

Based upon this principle I have chosen to speak up when I see something that is not a standard or expected based upon my very limited experience as a User and a Consumer - I define myself as the 20%. If ignored I will abandon this forum and application; voting with my dollars. Until then I will contribute as best I can and do what I can to support the Community.

While I find the majority of issues can be glossed over once experience converts my mind. I believe it is essential that developers get feedback lest they wander off into distant fields in between trips to reddit.

It is much appreciated that my message was heard and two of the four pinned items are gone. It is a compromise and I am all about compromises.
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      Hang around QuickBase is going supernova in 2018.

The Pareto Principle vs. The Long Tail Theory: Heads or Tails?

"... the long tail theory and the Pareto Principle ... contradict each other"
      http://blog.springtab.com/pareto-principle-vs-the-long-tail-theory/

If you go into your grocery store you will see a wall of different choices for items like (1) yogurt, (2) energy drinks, (3) nutrition bars. Consumers want and marketers deliver lots of custom product choices today - there is a lot of money in the long tail nowadays. 

It is no different with building applications of forum software. The small feature you desperately want may be unimportant or unwanted to the next user. So you have to build software that has reasonable defaults (80/20 Pareto Pareto) but can be easily customized (long tail demand). QuickBase has historically delivered on 80/20 principles but as markets matured "builders" are now demanding all sorts of nuanced features.in terms of look and feel, product capabilities etc which are only going to be delivered using more integration hooks, customization options, and technology.

Scripting is powerful but even it is only one component to satisfy long tail demand.