Forum Discussion

CaroleVandenbe1
Qrew Cadet
8 years ago

How to have one reference field selection auto-select one from another table?

I have an application that pulls info, via relationships, from 2 tables in another app.  When the user selects a customer name in that app, they are required to select a customer name from the dropdown for the account table in the second app.  then I'd like to automatically use the selection in that dropdown to pull further customer data about that account from the second table.  Versus making the user select the customer name a second time.  Is there a way to do this?  Thanks!  (I've tried default, but don't seem to be able to use a field name in that.) 

9 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Are the other "Two" apps connected in any way?

Are you using any key fields other than the default [Record ID#]?
  • I suggest that you make the 2nd field for related customer be a formula equal to the first Related customer field.

A safe way to do this, assuming that you are dealing with a Production app and do not want to accidentally break it, would be to create the new field called something like [Related Customer mirror] with a formula of [related customer].  Then pull in a few lookup fields to confirm it it working ok.

Once you are satisfied that it will work OK, then you can go to the field for [Related Customer 2] (or whatever it is called) and change the field type to be a formula field and have the formal  be [Related customer].
      CaroleVandenbe1
      Qrew Cadet
      Sadly, I cannot find where I did this before successfully but cannot get it to work again.  Questions:  is it the reference proxy I need to change to a formula field that matches the contents or the actual numeric reference field?  If I use numeric reference, it doesn't pull any data - but i'm thinking those internal numbers don't match and that's why.  But if I change the text reference proxy to a formula, it pulls it out of the relationship.  Works but doesn't allow for any lookups.