Forum Discussion

AndrewFry
Qrew Assistant Captain
5 years ago

Clear fields via automation

I am setting up an automation so that when certain fields in a record are modified, other fields in the same record are cleared.

However, when I go to input which fields are to be modified and save the automation, it doesn't save two of the fields that need to be changed.

I save it as this:

But when I go back and check it, it has changed to this:

I need to have the Assignment Approved checkbox be unchecked via the automation. That is working.

I also need the Assignment Approved On to be cleared out, it is a date/time field, and the Assignment Approved by to be cleared out, it is a text field.

I have a button populating those two fields when clicked.

Is there a way to clear a field using an automation? What am I missing?

P.S. I have thought about using Dynamic Form Rules, but I have other automations that play a role in this process and the Dynamic Form Rules doesn't change things after-the-fact.

------------------------------
Andrew
andrew.fry25@gmail.com

8 Replies

• I'm not sure if that is a bug or a feature/limitation, but that one also just bit me.  So I created a formula text field with no formula called Blank field used in Automations and updated the Automation to put the value of that field into the field ot be cleared.

If you feel inspired you could put in a support ticket claiming it's a bug and see what they come back with and let us know.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AndrewFry
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Mark, that is a really creative way to achieve the results needed. Thanks for sharing.

I think I will have to create two formula fields, one a date/time and the other a text, so that the corresponding field type is related to the field type of the fields I need to clear.

I will submit a ticket for it and post back here to see if we can get some movement with it.

Andrew
      andrew.fry25@gmail.com
        AndrewFry
        Qrew Assistant Captain
        So I am currently working with customer support to get this fixed. They were very quick to respond!!

by using <blank> in my automation it cleared the date/time field, as was expected.

However, for the text field, it simply puts the text: <blank>, in the field.

So I am 50% there, but have to figure out how to get the text field automation to work correctly.

FYI, I tried you suggestion Mark, and it work perfectly. Greate band-aid for something that shouldn't need a band-aid ....

Andrew
        andrew.fry25@gmail.com