Forum Discussion

MannyCruz
Qrew Assistant Captain
7 years ago

Multiple Conditions for a reference field

Okay guys, this one is giving me a hard time. I have a many to many relationship built in (with use of a buffer table)

Table 1 - Vendors

Table 2 - Assignments

Table 3 - Claims

Vendor -E Assignments
Claim -E Assignemnts

This works perfectly. Now, the only issue I am having is that the "Vendors" Dropdown gives me a list of all of the vendors, when I would like to break it down by "State" and "Vendor Type"

I know I can check the box to filter out that dropdown based on one condition. Is there any way to have it be 2 conditions? 

Thanks guys/Gals!

6 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    MANNY, how you been?  Sorry, its taken me 13 hours to answer this.

You will want to make sure your Vendors are connected to a "State", and that the Claim also has a "State" that match exactly.  Then if the claim has the "Type" that you are using for the other conditional behavior you will combine those both into a formula text field.  

Basically, you will have 2 formula text fields that have identical outputs.

[State]&"-"&[Type]

One field will be on the claim and one will be on the Vendor.  Then make the conditional value be dependent on the formula field you just made.

Let me know if that make sense.
      MannyCruz
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Matt! Good to hear from you man! 
      No worries on the delay. 

This would work, but theres one minor issue. 

So every vendor is tied to a state
      And every claim is tied to a state 

So that works, 

The issue here being that the claim does not have a type association.

As an example; We would have to assign a defense counsel to a claim and an Independent Adjuster to a claim. 

The problem is we would have a crazy long dropdown of vendors if we only sorted by state or only by type. The formula field would be perfect for state, because the state won't change for the claim. But we would need to sort by vendor type. 

Let me know if this makes any sense, all help is appreciated, thanks Matt!!!
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      I'm just finishing up 2 different apps that deal with Worker's Comp claims.  I'm imagining that you have 2 relationships from the "vendor" table and the "claim" table for the drop-downs.  (one for the defense counsel and the adjustor).

If that is true, I'd make two different reports on the vendor table.  These will be used, un place of the record picker.  On each of those reports, you will apply the filter for that particular 'type' of vendor.

Then the drop down can still be conditional on the state and have the pre-filtered lists for the type.
      MannyCruz
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Not quite, there is only one tie to claims (Technically 2 cause its many to many), there are about 6 or 7 vendor types and it is just a multiple choice field. So when we input a new vendor into that vendors list they are associated with a certain "type". 

So Bob Smith is and IA in that Vendors Table
      and John Doe is a Defense counsel in Vendors Table

Not sure if I am explaining this right or not

-Manny via other user
  • Not quite, there is only one tie to claims (Technically 2 cause its many to many), there are about 6 or 7 vendor types and it is just a multiple choice field. So when we input a new vendor into that vendors list they are associated with a certain "type". 

So Bob Smith is and IA in that Vendors Table
    and John Doe is a Defense counsel in Vendors Table

Not sure if I am explaining this right or not

-Manny via other user
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Could you add a dropdown (just a text multiple choice) that mimics the one you have on the Vendor table?  so then you can have that drive the combined conditional value?