Forum Discussion

Re: Can a field in one table look for duplicates in a different table?

I think Mark and I interpreted the question 2 different ways. My interpretation was that when adding a new record on table A and entering a unique value into a field on table A, can that action also check EXISTING records in other tables to determine if that value already existed.

2 Replies

MannyCruz
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    This is the question I intended yes. I was hoping a script page wouldn't be the way to go, but I think you are right. Thanks to the both of you guys! Always helping out
    QuickBaseCoachD
    Qrew Captain
    I think that Mathew is saying that a script could prevent the save and I'm saying that natively I cannot prevent the save but I can flag the record.  I don't know your  business process, but sometimes a solution is that the user first  enters the customer and saves.  Then the edit the record and the rest of the data entry fields appear along with the warning message, if any.  If the warning message appears, then the user will know and also a form rule could hide the rest of the data entry sections.  

That way the user will not waste time with a lot of data entry needlessly and can "cut their losses' more quickly.