Forum Discussion

Re: Home Pages

Thanks, Laura 

What I have is four users that have the same role. I gave them each their own home page. They can jump to it from a button bar from the team home page. I want them to customize their home page but not go to others and change stuff around. Do not think I will have this problem but you never know.

------------------------------
Joe Rachel

1 Reply

LauraThacker
    Qrew Captain
    I advise against giving them the administrative permissions to do this as you are giving those 4 other users the "keys to the kingdom" which in the wrong hands can be extremely dangerous to your data integrity.

Depending on how many users there are in your company; you might opt for 4 duplicate-roles each with their own home page; where each home page can launch the other users' home pages but without the ability to edit them.  I normally would not recommend multiple duplicate roles simply to get a customized home page; but there are situations where it is needed.

Another option is for a more "generic" home page with button-links to specific home pages which are more customized.  Then you can always have a single-Home Page that shows the "same" information for everyone; with buttons to launch individually customized Home Pages.    If you allow all users to customize the different pages; then you are giving license for anyone (those who have the interest and skills) to modify pages other people are using in an uncontrolled way - often detrimentally.

Also, one thing you may be trying to figure out how to show is "My" stuff on dashboard reports; for example restricting report content so they only show data pertinent to the user who is logged in.  If you are using User-type fields and assigning records to users; you can build reports with filters which state that the field [User Field Name] is the current User and then use those reports on dashboards/home pages.  This technique customizes the "content" of the same reports for the different users so they are focused on their own responsibilities without compromising the structure of the home pages in terms of the table reports.

Laura Thacker (IDS)
    laura@intelligentdbs.com
    (626) 771 0454