Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Showing child record ID from one table on a child record from another table

• 1.  Showing child record ID from one table on a child record from another table

Posted 03-11-2020 09:11
    Let's assume I have a new project form (Parent).  For that new project we develop policies and procedures (child record 1) and send communications about the new project (child record 2).  Not every project needs both policies and a communication.  How can I show the record ID for child record 1 on the form for child record 2, but only if there is a child record 1 for the parent?

------------------------------
    Michael Sargent

• 2.  RE: Showing child record ID from one table on a child record from another table

Posted 03-11-2020 09:31
    I'm not sure why you would want to show the Record ID#, but you can make a summary field on the Parent for the Maximum Record ID# of the Children where the type of child is "Policy & Procedure".

Then that will either be a number or null (if there are none).  Then look that up down to all Children and show that value on the Child records and have a  form rule to only show that lookup field when the child record type is Communications.

More likely what you want to do though is to have a hyperlink on the communications child record to display  the Policy Record.
    You can make a Formula Rich Text hyperlink like this:

var text Words = "Link to Policy"
    var text URL = urlroot() & dbid() & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID# of the policy record from that lookup];

IF([Record ID# of the policy record from that lookup]>0,

"<a href=" & $URL & ">" & $Words & "</a>")

post back if you have syntax errors or questions

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com