Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Button with Mailto link - Code stops working if & is in a field

Posted 12-30-2021 17:45
    Hello, 

I have a button that generates an email with fields from a specific record.  If a field contains any contents with an &, anything below the & will not populate in the email. How can I ensure the Mailto Link allows & characters?

Example: 
    "mailto:"&""&[Email 1]&
    "\n"&"?subject="&"\n"&[Record]&""&
    "&body="&"Location Name: "& [Location Name] 
    "%0D"
    &"field2"&
    "%0D"
    &"field3"&
    ""

--- If Location Name for the records is AT&T, then the body of the email will be "AT" and nothing after... --- 

How can I ensure the mailto link copies the exact field contents without stopping at the & character? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Meagan

• 2.  RE: Button with Mailto link - Code stops working if & is in a field

Posted 12-30-2021 18:26
    Edited by Jeff Peterson 12-30-2021 18:32

'&' is a special character in the coding which needs to be 'escaped' or otherwise excluded.  One approach is to use ATT instead of AT&T when this happens:

"&body="&"Location Name: "& (If([Location Name]="AT&T","ATT",[Location Name]))
    "%0D"
    &"field2"&
    "%0D"
    &"field3"&
    ""

This might work also and retain the '&' correctly in AT&T:

"&body="&"Location Name: "& (If([Location Name]="AT&T","AT&T",[Location Name]))
    "%0D"
    &"field2"&
    "%0D"
    &"field3"&
    ""

Jeff Peterson

• 3.  RE: Button with Mailto link - Code stops working if & is in a field

Posted 12-30-2021 18:54
    Use URL Encode. These are my notes. I am not totally sure if it works with the Ampersand.

var text Subject = 
        "Enter Subject Line Text here " & [Add Fields If Desired] ;

var text File = URLRoot() & "up/" & Dbid() & "/a/r" & [Record ID#] & "/e57/v0"; //use this if you want to include a file link

var text Body = 
         URLEncode("Enter text for body here")
        & "%0A%0A"                                                                                       //THIS IS A LINE BREAK PLUS SKIPS A LINE
        & URLEncode("Company Name: " & [Company Name]) // EXAMPLE OF HOW TO ENTER TEXT AND A FIELD
        & "%0D%0A"                                                                                      //THIS IS A LINE BREAK, DOES NOT SKIP A LINE
        & URLEncode("File Link: " & $File)
        & "%0A%0A"
        & URLEncode("QuickBase Link: " & [Field]));

var text Email = "mailto:ThisName@fakeemail.com" //WHAT EMAILS ARE IN THE TO LINE
    & "?cc=ThisName@fakeemail.com"                                 //WHAT EMAILS ARE IN THE CC LINE
    & "&subject=" & URLEncode($Subject)                             //NOTE: If you remove the cc line, then: & "?subject=" & URLEncode($Subject)       
    & "&body=" & $Body;                                                                      // The first line after mail to should have a '?' and NO "&". This indicates everything following is being set.

"<a href="
     & $Email
     & ">" & "Create Email" & "</a>"

Mike Tamoush

• 4.  RE: Button with Mailto link - Code stops working if & is in a field

Posted 01-03-2022 10:10
    URLEncode worked perfectly! Thanks for the help.

Meagan Kellagher