Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 11:02
    I have a parent table report with a link to the default child table report to show all associated child records.

The issue I am facing is that the link takes me to the default report of that child table. It shows only the related child records (which is correct), but the formatting is horrendous.

I can edit the default report to add and remove fields, but because it is the default report, I cannot edit the column properties to give each column a more suitable name, align left/right/auto, etc.

I am stuck on how to fix this issue.

I have made other reports in the child table and embedded them in forms. These customized reports allow me to change the column properties. They work beautifully.

I cannot seem to figure out how to select one of these custom build reports to be associated with the link in the parent report, rather than the default child report.

Is it possible to change the URL address of the Parent report link to point to one of the custom child reports?

If not, how can I go about changing the default report column properties? I am guessing it is not possible based upon what I have read and tested.

Thoughts????

------------------------------
    Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 11:41
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 01-22-2020 11:41
    Have a look to the last response in this long thread.  it's your answer as to how to make a link to any report where the filters come off a record that you launch off of.

Edit: https://community.quickbase.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=103&MessageKey=562646ea-a6c6-43e1-a533-2cd1f4424ef1&CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804&tab=digestviewer

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 14:56
    Mark,

I have gone through the other thread's post and think I understand it.
    However, it isn't working as I thought it should.
    My thought is that I am to blame for not doing it correctly ... as is typically the case.

So to give a bit more detail:

I have my parent table report where I have created a URL Formula to take me to the report of the child table.
    That is working. It takes me directly to the customized report instead of the default report.

However, what is not currently working is that it is showing me all records from the child table. It should only show me records from the child table related to the parent table.

I have the URL coded with filters as per the thread/post you shared, but I don't think they are working correctly.

I am trying to filter for the Parent Record ID# of the child records, so that only the child records related to the parent record are showing.

The related parent record ID# fid in the child table is 22. Yet when I click the link, the URL comes up with some triple digit fid being filtered.

In order for filtering to work via URL formulas, do they have to be columns that one can normally filter, as in on the left hand side? The Parent record ID# is not a filterable field by default.

Here is the code I have so far:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_Table_1] & "?a=q&qid=7&nv=1&v0=" & URLEncode([Job ID#])

Also strangely, my child table is called Notes, but the table Alias is Table_1.  All of my other tables have a matching table alias. I found that strange ......

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 15:04
    When you run the actual report manually (not from the button) does it pause to ask you the question as to what is the related parent?  ie does is report qid 7 have an <ask the user> filter?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 15:46
    No, it does not.

After reading your question above and then going back to the thread/post you linked, I think the thread/post is a bit clearer now.

Do I need to link to a specific report in a child table? Yes.
    Do I need to show only the records in the child table report related to the parent record? Yes.
    Does my child table report ask the user some input questions? No.

Perhaps if I understood a bit more in depth how a report can ask a user questions ... that might clarify a few things for me ....

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 15:53
    Please go to that report and add an extra filter. 

Where related parent equals  and then in the blank box, if he option for <ask the user> is not offered, then literally type this into the box.

<ask the user>

When you run the report it should pause and ask you a question.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Change report link within parent table report

Posted 01-22-2020 20:25
    Holy bazinga Batman!!! That blew my mind!!

I had no idea I could require a user to provide answers to a query for a report to be visible.

Thank you for that info.

Also, I was able to get the report link to work and take me to the correct report, for the correct parent record id#.

I appreciate the insight.

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com