Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 13:31
    Hello

We're creating an sales order dispositioning tool and we ran into a problem.  We have a summary table with unassigned orders were multiple users can assign the same order to themselves. We would like to limit the dispositioning as the order is assigned to one user.

Appreciate any suggestions to solve for this issue.

------------------------------
    Juan Cardona Morales

• 2.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 14:03
    I am trying to understand the issue. Presumably this is a report that only consists of unassigned orders. Are you saying that two different users could have the same report on their screen and both grab the same order?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 16:25
    Hi Mark, Correct. Both users will have the same report with the same unassigned orders. We're trying to see if there's  way for them not to choose the same order at the same time.

Juan Cardona Morales

• 4.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 16:32
    How to they "choose" the record.  Do they enter their name or userid into a field?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 16:36
    Using a button with the following code

var text addurl = URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord" & "&rid=" & [Record ID#] & "&AppToken=[APPtoken]" & ToText(User());

"<a class=\"Vibrant Success\" style=\"width:310px; text-align: center;\" href='" & $addurl & "&rdr=" & URLEncode( URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=doredirect&z=" & Rurl()) & "')>Assign to Me</a>"

Juan Cardona Morales

• 6.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 16:39
    I will have to think about this one. The only hope would be some trick with Custom Data Rules.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 16:41
    Thank for looking into this!

Juan Cardona Morales

• 8.  RE: Limit assignment of orders to one User

Posted 07-13-2021 19:21
    OK here's an idea. I guess it's up to you to decide how big a problem it is if it's worth going through these hoops but I believe it will work.  But you may not feel it's worth the effort.
    You can create a child table called [Sales Order Assigned To]  it will have a user field to represent who the Sales Order is Assigned to.

You would initially populate this table by a one time saved table to table import to copy all of the sales orders which have an [assigned to] into that child table.

You will then float up the assign to up to the parent sales order.  To do that you will use a combined text summary feel bad because those fields of the operate on text fields you will create a text version of the assign to field on that trail table and then roll that up using a combined text summary filled up to the sales order and then use a form of the field to convert.

OK now here's the magic.  You create a summary field for the number of assigned to use and you look that up down to the child table.  You then make a custom date a rule that says when the number of assign to's >=1, then put up an error message.  

The effect of this  that is that the second user will click to create a child assigned to  and it will fail.

And fly with a solution is that it also means that nobody would be able to edit or delete the assigned to. So we can go one step further and while I haven't tested this you could use the new UserRoles function to limit the custom data rule so that it only applies to users in the front line rules but not to the managers.

If you wanted some help implementing this you can contact me off line for some consulting time or else we could work through this slowly on this forum together.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com