Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking Changes

Posted 05-07-2020 13:09
    I searched prior discussions before posting this, so I apologize if it's a duplication.  If it is just refer me to the prior article.  Anyhow, I have a table with 45 fields, any of which could change.  I'd like to keep an audit trail of changes to records for any of the previously mentioned fields.  

How would I set it up so I can bring awareness to which field changed and perhaps what the old value was and now the new value?  I want my clients to be able to pull reports of any changes based on a particular record ID.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Michael Sargent

• 2.  RE: Tracking Changes

Posted 05-07-2020 13:23
    I could work with you one on one if you like to get this set up.
    One solution is to have an Automation fire with 45 steps to record the before and after values for all the fields into a child log table of changes.  Then the last step #46 will be to delete all the records where there was no change.​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Tracking Changes

Posted 05-08-2020 08:00
    Are you just looking to track changes?  If so, a change log is an easy solution.

Paul Peterson

• 4.  RE: Tracking Changes

Posted 06-10-2020 19:04
    Do you have instructions for the Change Log option?

Kevin Felgentreu

• 5.  RE: Tracking Changes

Posted 06-24-2020 13:39
    I've seen different variations of the "change log".  I saw the post about onload techniques using JS to track changes.  I tried that and unfortunately it's not working and I can't make contact with the member who posted the original information.  I am using Actions now, but there is a limitation of 10 actions per table and i have way more than 10 fields.  Perhaps I need to go the route of automation or pipeline to accomplish what i need.

Michael Sargent

• 6.  RE: Tracking Changes

Posted 06-24-2020 15:14
    I have to do this next week for a client.  My plan to to use an Automation which can have 50 Actions.  Each action can record the field name, the old value and the new value in a log table.  Most of the time the old and new will be the same.

You can use an Automation each night to remove the unnecessary records, but if there are more than 1,000 per night, then the Automation will fail.  So my plan is to use a Pipeline with 1 Step to call API_Purge Records.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com