Forum Discussion

TonySugent
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Relationship question

Hey everyone,

I have a little predicament I'm in attempting to use relation ships. I have one table that I am attempting to pull data into a form. Basically, I want to be able to select the name of a customer from our joiner app's customer table and populate the fields in our properties app's customer tree table. But when I do all of the fields populate with the same data. I want to be able to have multiple customers from the customer table in the customer tree table. Here are some screenshots of what I'm referring to.

Contract Tree Table (want data in here):

Contacts Table(want data from here):

------------------------------
Tony Sugent

7 Replies

• Have you considered the possibility of having these 'Contact Tree' records be a single 'Contact', with the Position setup as a Text-Multiple Choice drop-down? This would require you to have only a single relationship between the 'Contact Tree' and 'Contacts' tables, rather than the 1 relationship for each position setup that this currently requires.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      TonySugent
      Qrew Member

I tried that. But I couldn't get it to auto populate the phone and email fields after the name was selected

Tony Sugent
        BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain

These would need to be setup as Lookup fields. It sounds like you may need some 1-1 consultation/training. If you would like additional information, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
  • I'm not understanding this

But when I do all of the fields populate with the same data.

Do you have 6 relationships for the 6 positions  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

TonySugent
      Qrew Member

I do not. For some reason when I try and add a relationship it doesn't seem make the same sort of field. I'm not sure how to describe it. Do you have a link to a video to show me how to properly make the relationships?

Thank you!

Tony Sugent
        DonLarson
        Qrew Commander

Tony,

The existing architecture is very unclear.  Your screen shot shows that you have at least 10 different QB Applications.  I believe that you are trying to get data from one application into another.  This is permitted with a Cross App relationship.   It is difficult to know what you have going on but here is a solution to populating the correct contacts at Customer Property from the Contacts that are associated with the Company.

I have only shown four of the roles at the Property for simplicity sake.      For this to work, you need a new Parent Child relationship for each name at the Property that you want to get from the Customer Contacts table.   

This will work even if the Customer table and Customer Contacts table are in different QB Applications.  It is just a little trickier to establish the relationships then if it was all in the same application.  

I am guessing that your Contract Tree table is not in the same application as the Parent data that you need.  It is the Child in the Relationship so you go to that table to connect it to the Contacts.  Here is a picture showing the link to Select a table in another app.

You will need six relationships.  One for each role.  

Rename the reference field right after creation.  It will default to Related Contact or what ever the name is of your other table.   You do not want Related Contact, Related Contact2, Related Contact3....   as it will not be obvious what role that Contact is playing in the next Table.

Don Larson
        Paasporter
        Westlake OH