Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  How to prevent double login in time sheet app

Posted 11-13-2020 11:29
    I have an app that our users can log times for specific tasks. I have a button on the dashboard that allows users to add a new time record and it returns them to the dashboard once complete.

However, I do not want them to access a new time record if they currently have a time record where they have not previously logged out. I am pretty sure I cannot do this in the current format because I cannot make a formula URL on the dashboard.

How can I insert a check of all of the current records to ensure the user is logged out before I take them to the new time entry page? I need an idea of how this may be accomplished as I am at a stand still to add this functionality in my app.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Ray Moss
    Essence QB Admin
    Essence Cabinets Inc.
    Edmonton, AB, CAN

• 2.  RE: How to prevent double login in time sheet app

Posted 11-13-2020 11:33
    Can you tell us if you have a table of staff where the Key field is the userid?  It would help to know that in order to offer what might be an easy solution.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: How to prevent double login in time sheet app

Posted 11-13-2020 12:03
    I have only 2 tables. A Time Card table which logs the record owner as the user, and a tasks table for selection by the user. I do not have any additional tables.

I was thinking of creating a new table where the key field is the users and is linked to the Time Card table. Then by adding a summary field to check if the logout is complete I can see if the user is completely logged out.

But I do not know where to place the login button so it can be a formula URL for the users to click. Right now, I am using a button on a widget on the dashboard, but this does not allow formula URLs.

Ray Moss
    Essence QB Admin
    Essence Cabinets Inc.
    Edmonton, AB, CAN

• 4.  RE: How to prevent double login in time sheet app

Posted 11-13-2020 12:09
    , You are definitely on the right track with the advantage of having a table of users where the key field is the user. Then you can summarize up the number of incomplete time cards and use that in a look up back down to the time card table.
    Note that you can have a relationship back to the Time Cards table where the reference field on the right side is the [Current User] with a formula of

User()

which returns the current user who's hands are on the keyboard.

So it is true that a dashboard widget cannot use formula URLs, You can have a report of users filtered where the user ID is equal to the current user, so there will only be one record on that report. You can make a button on that report and then put that one record report with a button or two on your dashboard. So it will sort of look like a widget but in fact it will just be a short narrow report.  If you jam some other stuff beside it then it will be squeezed down to not more than 1/3 of the width of the screen and look widgety.   

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: How to prevent double login in time sheet app

Posted 11-13-2020 12:26
    That sounds promising. I will give that a try. Thanks for your help and the rapid response.

Ray Moss
    Essence QB Admin
    Essence Cabinets Inc.
    Edmonton, AB, CAN

• 6.  RE: How to prevent double login in time sheet app

Posted 12-09-2020 11:51
    Just a quick follow up. I created a formula field in the Time Card table that evaluated to 1 if there was no login, and defaulted to 0. Then I made a user table that summarized the totals in the formula field. That meant if the total in the summary field was > 1, there was 1 (or many) logout(s) required. I added the summary field as a reference field back into the Time Clock table and created an If statement in an URL field with a java script popup message in case the value was >1.

Works like a charm. Just hard for me to visualize at first.

Thanks,

Ray Moss
    Essence QB Admin
    Essence Cabinets Inc.
    Edmonton, AB, CAN