Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

• 1.  Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-05-2019 18:51
    Basically I need the variance to be calculated as the following:

FTE Target - FTE Sum (Filled) - FTE Sum(Open) = Variance. In which case would be 
    9.6 below.
    ">https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1792161/RackMultipart20190605-79713-3hpa7g-6-5-2019_2-38-26_PM_inline.png?1559760669">

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-05-2019 21:54
    The only way to do this would be to have a table of Cost Centers (which you may already have) and summarize up the detail records for Filled and Open.

Then just have s simple Table Report of Cost Centers and do the math on the Cost Center Record.

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-10-2019 17:18
    Hi Dan,

Correct I do have Cost Center table. I'm also am doing the math in the record but it sums the individual variances on the summary which is not the result needed.

Question - is there a way to create a formula field that captures the totals shown at the bottom of a Report Link?

i.e. pull in the total 40.3 into a separate formula field? I'm thinking as a workaround have the math show in each record..I think this will be acceptable because the report consumer has to view each record individually anyway.

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-10-2019 17:52
    Hi this is Mark.
    I'm not understanding the question now.

If you have all your fields on a record, you can just do a simple formula to calculate the variance, right?

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-10-2019 18:03
    Sorry..Mark.

The variance calc in the record is missing the Filled and Opened totals for the Cost Center. Keep in mind its a sum of multiple records for each cost center. In other words, each cost center has multiple records within it...I need the sum of Total FTE (Open) and (Filled)...if I can get this in the record I'd be in business...the variance calc would work.

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-10-2019 18:11
    If you have a relationship between the Cost Centers and their detail records, then you can make summary fields to get those numbers (Totals or averages) up to the Cost Center record. 

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-10-2019 19:43
    indeed you can!! woohoo!

awesome bud..thank you!

• 8.  RE: Is there a way to have a summary report calculate the variance of the difference between sums?

Posted 06-10-2019 19:50
    Sometimes the answers are easy. Glad to hear it�s working.