Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Stuck on a dynamic form rule regarding current user and date

Posted 11-30-2019 01:06
    Edited by Joe Hargrave 12-01-2019 18:13
    When a task is assigned to a user, I have adjacent fields that I want to auto-populate with 'Assigned By' (current user) and 'Assigned On' (current date).

My trouble is that I can't figure out how to utilize the act of assigning a user to the task as a trigger.  I want to essentially say 'when user (in the assigned user slot) is no longer blank' then ... action.  The action part is easy.  I got that.  I just can't figure out how to make a User field being populated initially as the trigger.  

The workaround I came up with would be to require the user assigning the task to check a box when the assignee is chosen. Then the trigger is simply the checkbox being checked.  But that seems like a silly thing to make people do.  I would prefer the 'assigned by' (current user) and 'assigned on' (current date) be filled by simply choosing a user in the 'assign to' field.

What am I missing?  I apologize if this is super elementary and I'm missing something really obvious.
    THANKS!

• 2.  RE: Stuck on a dynamic form rule regarding current user and date

Posted 12-01-2019 18:11
    Edited by Joe Hargrave 12-01-2019 18:13
    Sorry... I figured this out. Or at least a workaround I'm happy with. I can't find how I can delete my original question, or I'd just delete it. Sorry for the bother.  All good. As you were. Nothing to see here. :)

Original Message:
    Sent: 11-30-2019 01:05
    Subject: Stuck on a dynamic form rule regarding current user and date

I think I'm making something more difficult than it is, and I apologize.  Maybe I just need sleep, or maybe this is the wrong way to go about this.  Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

When a task is assigned to a user, I have adjacent fields that I want to auto-populate with 'Assigned By' (current user) and 'Assigned On' (current date).

My trouble is that I can't figure out how to utilize the act of assigning a user to the task as a trigger.  I want to essentially say 'when user (in the assigned user slot) is no longer blank' then ... action.  The action part is easy.  I got that.  I just can't figure out how to make a User field being populated initially as the trigger.  

The workaround I came up with would be to require the user assigning the task to check a box when the assignee is chosen. Then the trigger is simply the checkbox being checked.  But that seems like a silly thing to make people do.  I would prefer the 'assigned by' (current user) and 'assigned on' (current date) be filled by simply choosing a user in the 'assign to' field.

What am I missing?  Again, I apologize if this is super elementary and I'm missing something really obvious.
    THANKS!

------------------------------
    Joe Hargrave

• 3.  RE: Stuck on a dynamic form rule regarding current user and date

Posted 12-02-2019 12:56
    Edited by Austin K 12-02-2019 12:56
    If you have solved something that gave you trouble then maybe others in the future will need help with it as well so never delete topics if you can help it. 

Was the fix you posted what you went with? The checkbox? Or did you do it another way?

Did you try to look for when your assigned user field is not blank as the trigger?

• 4.  RE: Stuck on a dynamic form rule regarding current user and date

Posted 12-03-2019 10:10
    Good point Austin. Sorry....
    Yes, I went with the checkbox idea. After thinking about it further, it was actually a good solution for my need and it works beautifully. There may be a simpler route, but once I really digested what I wanted the user's workflow to be, it's perfectly fine.

Yes, I tried looking for 'user field not blank' but that option didn't seem to exist.  That's what threw me for a loop in the first place. In the rules, choosing a user field and stipulating 'not blank' simply didn't exist as an option.

Joe Hargrave

• 5.  RE: Stuck on a dynamic form rule regarding current user and date

Posted 12-03-2019 10:53
    When I have wanted to compare a user field to blank, I actually make a formula user field called [Null user] and just leave the formula empty.  Then the form rules have something to hook on to.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com