Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Drop down menu to show only related project contacts

Posted 01-14-2020 07:25
    To simplify my app I have a Projects and Contacts table where each project can have multiple contacts. I have a specific form in the Project table called Closeout. The form is a series of questions someone from my company fills out while talking to the Contact. One of questions is to select the specific contact they talked to from a drop down list.

When a Contact is created the are assigned to a specific Project. What I am looking to do is have a drop down menu on the closeout form that lists only the project related contacts and not all contacts in the table. 

I made a reverse table relationship (one contact may have multiple projects) and then used the Related Contact (reference) field to display the drop down list on the form. I used the default record picker and also made an embedded table report but in both cases the drop down list shows all Contacts in the table, and not just the ones that are specifically related to the project.

How do I make the drop down menu only show the contacts that are specifically related to the project? What am I missing?

------------------------------
    David Hoover

• 2.  RE: Drop down menu to show only related project contacts

Posted 01-14-2020 08:19
    Np
    in the field Related Contact look for the field setting for Conditional. Set it to be conditional on a Related Company on Projects to match Related Company on Contacts.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Drop down menu to show only related project contacts

Posted 01-14-2020 09:04
    Thanks Mark!

I did actually look at that but I can't seem to find the appropriate fields to select.. I assume it should be the ID (key) in project table, should match the Related Project (ID) in contacts table. I'm not sure why it's not selectable on the conditional options.

Playing around I was able to use a different field (project description which is a lookup on the contact table that comes from the project table) but when that field is set to read-only on the closeout form (they shouldn't edit it from there) the contact drop down is disabled and says to first select the project description. If I make the description field editable on the closeout form then the drop down menu then populates with the right list. As a workaround I just used a dynamic rule to make it read only and that works.

But what ID or field should I really be selecting. Record ID# (from the Project table) is not listed in the choices in the first condition. I would think I want it to match the "Related Project" in the Contacts table.

Anyway, still confused but I think I at least have a workaround using a different field. But let me know if you have any ideas or insight.

Thanks again! :)

David Hoover

• 4.  RE: Drop down menu to show only related project contacts

Posted 01-14-2020 10:21

You will need to look at the a relationship between One Company has Many projects to see what is the field in Projrcts which connects them. 

The field will set the Condition. Then locate a field in the relationship between One Company has many Companies  and that is which you will put in that 2nd match field. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com