Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Any concerns adding user role ""everyone on the internet"" in an existing application?

Posted 06-21-2019 13:23
    I have two applications. One is to track the status of students from waitlisted all the way through enrollment (as well as family contact information, student age etc.). The other application is basically an online Registration form that parents complete to have their child added to the waitlist. The users in the online registration form are "everyone on the internet". Of course, I'd really like to map fields from the online registration form into fields in the student status application. I kept both apps. separate as I was concerned about security of the data in the first app if I have a user role "everyone on the internet", even if I set permissions correctly. Am I being overly concerned? I'd love to just include the online registration table in my original application. I've thought about creating a relationship between different apps, but creating a table relationship within one application is just more straight forward for me.
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: Any concerns adding user role ""everyone on the internet"" in an existing application?

Posted 06-21-2019 13:34
    I would caution against having just some tables open to EOTI.  If you set up the proper permissions, there is not problem.  But the risk is that you or your successor makes a mistake in the future and accidentally opens up that Role to see tables they should not.

So it's a judgment of risk of a future error vs, the extra work of a separate app.  If you can solve your issue with a cross app relationships, I would just do that.

• 3.  RE: Any concerns adding user role ""everyone on the internet"" in an existing application?

Posted 06-21-2019 13:42
    Thanks. Yes, I agree. In a related question then, would you recommend that the app. with 'everyone on the internet' users be the child or parent one. The cross app. table relationship isn't really a one to many or many to one relationship. I just want to be able to map fields across apps.

• 4.  RE: Any concerns adding user role ""everyone on the internet"" in an existing application?

Posted 06-21-2019 13:49
    I would have the EOTI be a child table and I would probably make a formula URL button to click on the EOTI record to create the real internal record and then show the original application record as a child.