Forum Discussion

JamesDalton
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Automated Auto Populate from Parent Table

Hello,

I am building an app for my insurance company that essentially splits policies into two categories, Renewals and New Business. I have created two tables respectively named that will hold everything about the client (name, state, specialty, etc) and I want to have a field that specifies the type of policy it is (example, all records in the Renewals table should have a policy status column that says "Renewal" and New Business Table will have a policy status column that says "New Business", this is part of a complicated work-flow that I won't go into too much detail). I thought it would be easier and would save disk-space in the app If I just created a Parent Policy Status table with just two records Renewal and New Business, and then have all of the records in the other two child tables tables simply point to the records in the parent table. I wanted this to happen automatically when I create a record.

Thank you,

------------------------------
J

2 Replies

• I would not bother.  You have two dedicated table for two types of records.  If you really want to have a field on each table to calculate to

Renewal
    or
    New Business

then just make a formula field on each table such as:

"Renewal"

Formula fields take zero space.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JamesDalton
      Qrew Trainee
      In hindsight, what was I thinking? Formula fields make way more sense. Thank you!

James Dalton