Forum Discussion

Mike
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Can a "Notes" field expand without changing the form?

We will be making a ton of "team notes" with this app.  I really love how it tags the name and the time/date!!  BUT 2 questions:

1.  Is it possible to have this where if there's 50 notes it doesn't push all the fields down and make a giant gap??  (I'll attach a screen shot "team notes")

2.  Is it possible to make it so we don't have to go into "edit" to add notes to it?

Thanks for the help always!!!

------------------------------
Michael Brumfield

7 Replies

• I assume that you are using a note field with "Log the edits to this field:" enabled.

Personally I would never use that for a notes method.  I would only use it for a simple logging like an approval type field.

I would set up a child notes table.  It has he advantage of allowing users to edit, say for a spelling or phrasing change.  Also you can add a note with an add button without going into edit mode on the main app.  The embedded child notes table can be shown on he Parent form and you can show the Record Owner and the date created so you have system stamped date and time as well as who created the note.

It's worth the extra setup time.  An experienced developer can do that setup in well under 5 minutes.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      Mike
      Qrew Member
      okay, this is amazing -- stupid question, would it sort of be able to stay one size with a slider up and down as we add more and more notes, rather than pushing the entire form all the way down??  and stupider question, the notes would be unique to each individual file, yes??  I mean or would it be like a running open note box where it's the same no matter which file I'm looking at??

Michael Brumfield
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Yes, the notes will show appropriate to each parent. 

Yes, the embedded report can be small with sliders. You control the height of the box that holds the embedded report. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com