Forum Discussion

AswinBabu
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Create multiple records using automation/webhooks

How can we create multiple records in quickbase using automation? The number of records to be created will depend on a field in the table we create automation. I can only see "add a record" action in Automation. Please guide me on how to to do it

------------------------------
Aswin Babu

3 Replies

• One option would be to set your Automation up to add one record and then update a value in the original record by incrementing it by 1. You could then have your trigger set to look at this field or whatever other field you need to trigger it on. Of course, you would only want it to trigger if the value of this field is less than the value of the field indicating how many records need to be created.

You may also be able to do it with Pipelines. Pipelines doesn't have the ability to iterate through an action a set number of times, though, so you will also need a formula that can calculate how many records have been created vs how many need to be created. You can then use this in a Lookup Record step to see if the process needs to run again, though each iteration would require a Lookup Record step and a conditional Add Record step and Pipelines is currently limited to 26 step (I think) in any one Pipeline.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      AswinBabu
      Qrew Member
      Thank you for replying. I will check this out

Aswin Babu
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        An automation concurrently support 50 steps but I would suggest limiting yourself to 25.  You can have those first 24 steps create 24 children and populate a field with child number in each step from 1 to 24.  

You can then look up the number of children that were required from, the parent down to the children and have Step 25 delete any excess children where their child # was higher than what was required.​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com