Forum Discussion

EricGrandinger1
Qrew Member
5 years ago

$ Decision-making workflow - Rolling Approved Budget Total

Hello fellow QB enthusiasts!

I am coming to you with a specific conundrum on a budget decision-making workflow I have set up. Given pictures speak a thousand words I have attached a few screenshots with the relevant entries filled as an example.

Ultimately the workflow I have set up works a treat for a single entry, however I am trying to achieve a rolling approved budget total to track costs on a specific project as per below:

(0) Original Approved Project Budget // The Initial $ at the project outset. A currency field equalling a specified value that doesn't change.

-------------------------------------------------

(1) Current Approved Project Budget // A running/iterative total of the approved budget. Initially this will equal the value in (0). 

(2) Requested Additional Contingency // A specific $ variation request

(3) Requested Revised Project Budget // A numeric formula field of (1)+(2)

-------------------------------------------------

An approval cycle follows as part of the workflow, where the requested value in (2) can be approved, partially approved or rejected by a specific Executive. The approved amount then feeds into another field called:

(4) New Approved Project Budget

- which is a case function: Case([Is the Program Contingency Request Approved?],"Yes",[Requested Revised Project Budget],"Partially",[Requested Revised Project Budget_Partially],"No",[Requested Revised Project Budget_NO])

--------------------------------------------------

That is the current workflow which works well for a single entry. Once the entry is saved and closed and a new one opened, I would like (1) to equal (4), however I have not been able to achieve this. This seems to be a very circular function and I am unsure if Quickbase is able to accommodate what I am thinking.

Any advice will be immensely appreciated.

------------------------------
Eric

1 Reply

• I'm assuming that these are "Project Budget" records, with a related parent "Project" table.

If I understand correctly - you want to grab the latest (4) New Approved Project Budget, and put it as the (1) Current Approved Project Budget in a new "Project Budget" record.

So first - you have to find the latest New Approved Project Budget.

Do a summary field from Projects to Project Budget
    - for "Maximum Record ID#" (or if you have a Budget Request Date or something similar, you can do that too)

Do a lookup field from Project Budget (looking up to Projects)
    - for the same Maximum Record ID# (or Date if you're using that)

Do a summary field from Projects to Project Budget
    - for "Latest Approved Project Budget" - where the Record ID# of the Project Budget record = "Maximum Record ID#"

Now the Project knows the "Latest Approved Project Budget".

You want the Project Budget records to know the Latest Approved Project Budget as well, so do a lookup.

Do a lookup field from Project Budget (looking up to Projects)
    - Latest Approved Project Budget

Now - have a form rule that fills in the (1) Current Approved Project Budget with Latest Approved Project Budget

When
    Current Approved Project Budget = blank
    change the value of
    Current Approved Project Budget to the value in the field Latest Approved Project Budget
    - always apply this action - Uncheck - Fire "change" actions only when a condition changes from false to true

This way - when you create a new Project Budget record (and it's related to the parent Project) - it will fill in the Current Approved Project Budget with the current Latest Approved Project Budget.

Xavier Fan
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    http://xavierfanconsulting.com/