Forum Discussion

NathanAllan2
Qrew Member
4 years ago

1 Child to Multiple Parents

I'm wondering if this is possible. I have a multi-select text field, for market (i.e. Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles) to determine which markets this vendor services.

I also have a table that has 1 record per market and has contact info for our team in that market.

I would like to relate these two tables together, so that on the vendor table, I can see the denver, phoenix, and LA contact info. Is this possible?

Thanks!

------------------------------
Nathan Allan

1 Reply

• Yes, but. There are a couple of different ways you could go about this. The method below assumes that your markets rarely - if ever - change.

1. To keep the ease of use that a Multi-Select Text field provides, you'll want to keep that. The downside of that is that you will have to manually maintain the options in this drop-down as/if your markets change.
    2. Next, you'll want to create a relationship between Vendors and Markets, with Markets being the Parent and Vendors being the child. Rename the 'Related Market' field to 'Denver Market'.
    3. Repeat Step 2 for each Market.
    4. For each 'Related Market' field:
      1. Change the field type to Formula Numeric
      2. Set your formula to: IF(Contains([Market],"Market Name"),##)   Replace "Market Name" and ## with the appropriate information from the individual Market. "Market Name" would need to match the selection in the drop-down. ## would be replaced with the Record ID# of that Market record in the Markets table.
      3. Create Lookup fields for the information you want to display for each of the Markets.
    ā€‹ā€‹

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/